Sunday, October 2, 2011

Me and My Boot

Hotep,

As you should already know, I strained my left Achilles tendon back in July (Old Mann, http://word2themasses.blogspot.com/2011/08/old-mann-real-reality.html).  It’s been a frustrating process, but educational as well.  Educational in the sense of, I’m learning more about my body as I continue to age gracefully.  LOL. And, it’s frustrating because this particular injury puts my Kunta Kinte thing on ice, indefinitely.  Na mean?
Philly
For the past week, I’ve been concerned about going under the knife again, but the doctor feels that my injury will heal with time and proper care.  So, rather than face another surgery on the same leg, I was sentenced to wear a walking boot for the next two months. 
This walking boot is hideous.  It’s equipped with an ankle splint, 5 Velcro straps and an exterior that resembles the latest Frankenstein footwear.  It covers my leg from toes to knee and it weighs at least 3lbs.  When I’m walking throughout the unit everyone knows I’m coming.  I feel like I have an RV strapped to my leg.  SMH.
This boot has been a constant reminder of how I tend to get swallowed up by my undying love for the game of basketball.  This injury isn’t as bad as it could’ve been, but it was severe enough to make a brother reinvent a negative circumstance, to bring forth positive results.  Feel me?
I figure, since I’ll be lugging this 3lb apparatus around for the next couple of months, I may as well embrace the company and give it an identity, an identity that would aspire rather than frustrate me.   Let’s see: The Mike Vick story is inspiring, without question.  I can see a Super Bowl in our very near future.  The saga of “Rocky” inspired an entire generation. 
Teaching us that those who fight for what they want will experience a flavor the sheltered will never know.  And my man Will Smith created an inspirational summer time anthem over 20 years ago, that still makes me reminisce about my days in front of the water plug or behind the wheel as I cruised the plateau.  Yeah.  Now that’s inspiring.  Ya heard?
The verdict is in people.  My city is the common denominator of all three of these inspirational examples.  Allow me to make a proper introduction: Blogosphere, meet “Philly.”  The much needed inspirational jolt, that will get me back into Kunta Kinte mode and the definitive symbol of why I need to stay off the court.  But, for the record my jump shot is still water.  Word is bond!
Stay tuned,

MannofStat
Copyright © 2011 by Leroy Elwood Mann

No comments:

Post a Comment