Sunday, September 25, 2011

Looking Into A Tear

Hotep,

A scraped knee…a busted lip… a jammed thumb.  The discomfort of these ailments is enough to make a child cry.  In some cases, even an adult will shed a tear due to some physical anguish.  No matter how you look at it, pain is just a part of life.  Whether it is physical or emotional, at some point pain will breed a tear.  Na mean?
Throughout my stint in prison, I’ve experienced the pains of a torn ACL, a severely strained Achilles heel, a broken finger, several foot surgeries and a toothache that would make a shark go vegan.  Ya heard?  Crying as a result of these pains was never a factor.  I guess it would appear as though I’ve become immune to physical pain, but that’s far from being the case.
As I’ve grown older and become somewhat wiser, I’ve come to understand the tear as being a jewel of one’s soul.  For me, physical pain is no longer worthy of my soul’s treasure chest.  Now the birth of my grandseed is worthy of a tear.  The sight of my Moms during her toddler years warrants a tear.  Happiness and gratitude have the capabilities to muster waterfalls of my inner jewelry, but know this; the thought of my years inside this box is definitely worthy of a jewel or two.  Word is bond!
Last month, the release of the “West Memphis Three” made headlines.  One of the 3, Damien Echols was sentenced to die.  The other two defendants were serving life sentences for the murders of 3 eight year old boys.  It is believed that the murders were a by-product of satanic cult activities.  Damien Echols wore all black clothing.  He listened to heavy metal music and even considered himself a Wiccan.
For 18 years, the courts viewed these men as grotesque murderers.  Many were convinced of Damien Echols’ guilt, but there were others who were immediately skeptical.  They felt he was singled out for being an outsider in a small town.  Supporters such as singers, Eddie Vedder and the Dixie Chicks held benefit concerts on their behalf.  Books were written and a documentary was made to jump-start the “Free the West Memphis 3” movement.
After nearly two decades of being referred to as “child killers,” Judge David Laser vacated their previous convictions and ordered a new trial.  Prosecutors then allowed the men to enter “Alford” guilty pleas, a plea that permits a defendant to maintain his/her innocence while admitting that pleading guilty is in their best interest. Real talk.
16 years in this box for a murder I didn’t commit.  A hip-hop artisit in love with his craft.  My promotional photos were a comprehensible display of my hip-hop culture and there is no doubt that I was singled out for being an outsider in a small town.  The jewels of my soul flow heavily when I weigh these factors of my case, but you can believe the faucet will continue to flow when I walk out of this prison to make the most of my second chance.  That’s what’s up!
Keep it 100,

MannofStat
Copyright © 2011 by Leroy Elwood Mann

No comments:

Post a Comment