Sunday, October 9, 2011

The Judicial Toothache that is Death Row

Hotep,

A toothache can be a crippling experience for the mightiest of men.  The uncertainty of its origin combined with the continuous pounding of an excruciating headache that has the effect of an ongoing brain freeze that would make an orthodontist beg for an extraction.  Believe me, I speak from personal experience.  Real talk.
I was politickin with my youngsta Frost, today (9/12).  We spoke on everything from Hurricane Irene, to the message behind the acronym, “KRS-ONE.” That’s Knowledge Reigns Supreme Over Nearly Everyone for those of you who aren’t familiar with the greatest MC ever to bless the microphone.  Word is bond!
My man Frost is a likable cat who speaks well beyond his 23 years.  I feel it’s only right that I’m able to relate to this youngsta.  Considering the fact that he’s the same age as my own son, I feel the need to share my wisdom and life experience with someone his age.  Not only because I can hear my son’s life perspective in his words, but mainly because it has become my mission to reach out to anyone enduring this judicial toothache, better known as Death Row.  Feel me?
Death row can drain an individual of all self-worth.  Leaving them vulnerable to pessimism, this in turn induces their evolvement of becoming a product of this environment.  Daily debates about the television, personally assigned seating arrangements in the dayrooms, the weak preying on the weaker…  a formula that produces emotional anguish beyond the understanding of the average individual living on the other side of this wall.  Na mean?
This toothache decimated my personal ambitions and put me in a circumstance that has proven to be a gift, wrapped within a curse.  Overwhelmed by being reduced to a mere number, no longer able to be in the ongoing company of loved ones and remission of choice, to come and go as I please and wear the clothes of my liking.  Sixteen years of peeling through these pessimistic layers has allowed me to solemnly serve my purpose.  Rather than seething about my present circumstance, I’m helping youngstas like Frost to understand that pessimism is an emotion not a philosophy.  My method for the extraction of pain.  Ya heard?
Keep it 100

MannofStat
Copyright © 2011 by Leroy Elwood Mann

No comments:

Post a Comment