Sunday, May 25, 2014

Voices From the Row: Exercised Humanity Is Not a Commodity


Hotep,

This second installment of “Voices from the Row,” has been in the making for quite some time.  This particular writer has been a part of my minute inner circle since 1999.  The infamous D-block was educational for both of us.  Back then, my ideas and concepts were exclusive to fellow prisoners willing to hear the real.  

At 21 years of age, Chino was more than a youngsta out to get a rep.  His focus was far beyond his years, and his ears were receptive to a Mann with something to say.  Real recognize real.  Na mean?

I’ve shared bits and pieces of Chino’s humanity on posts like, “Grey’s Alter Anatomy” (http://word2themasses.blogspot.com/2010/09/greys-alter-anatomy.html ) and “On the Move Volume 7: Walking the Walk” (http://word2themasses.blogspot.com/2012/04/on-move-volume-7-walking-walk.html ).  It would seem like every two years I find a reason to share something about him with you.  So consider this particular expression the bonus package.

As a long time pillar of strength in our death row community, Chino will now come to the forefront to speak his humanity.  His words will help you to understand that capital punishment is not a solution… it’s a commodity.

100,

MannofStat
Copyright © 2014 by Leroy Elwood Mann
----------------------------------

 Exercised Humanity Is Not a Commodity

Good Friday is, amongst other things, a time to reflect on the passion of the Son of God: the epitome of humanity!  Last week I was asked to shed light on how capital punishment has affected my own humanity.  

I hail from what is known in North Carolina as the ‘Port City’ (Wilmington, NC) by way of a little spot known as Danville, VA.  In the year of 1999, I was convicted of two counts of armed robbery and one count of burglary for which I received 19 – 24 years. 

Shortly thereafter, in a separate case/trial, I was nailed for one count of first-degree murder, one count of first degree kidnapping and one count of armed robbery.  As a result, I was handed a death sentence that year of which I’m still currently under.  

Truth and my humanity wouldn’t allow me to plead guilty to any of these accusations; my humanity wouldn’t allow me to throw another soul beneath the wheels of a southern judicial bus fueled by corruption and the need, at all cost, to convict.

Over the past 16 years, I’ve experienced the unjust sting of racism, incompetent defense lawyers, a suspect appellate lawyer, dispirited family members and the inner workings of a system geared for self benefitting results by any and all means!  But, you’ve heard all this before, right: the chip-shouldered prisoner, executions of innocent folk, police/C.O. brutality, prosecutorial cover-ups etc. 

My experience sells these days, my life being acted out in Hollywood; filling the gaps on the local news.  The woes of the ‘convict’ and those en-route to conviction is a commodity!  Which brings me to the hilt of this here.  Capital punishment hasn’t affected my humanity for humanity is innate.  

Capital punishment is a social aberration that affects life circumstances (wrecks lives), which humanity can correct.  I put forth the challenge to actually exercise humanity instead of talkin’ bout its value!

I close by calling your attention back to the epitome of humanity.  Good Friday centers around the action taken by an individual against inhumanness: true humanity.

Still Alive,

Chino
Copyright © 2014 by Chino

1 comment:


  1. Nice I love it. Be Bless and always remember GOD loves you and so do I♡♥♡♥♡♥¤♡♡♥

    ReplyDelete