Sunday, May 18, 2014

Finding the Good, Volume 2: Inside Observation



“I thought that no one would benefit more from memoir – writing and self-reflection than those whose lives hold a known expiration date.” Tessie Castillo
Journalist/Mom-to-be


Hotep,

The opening quote was extracted from an article written in the 5/2/14 edition of the Raleigh News and Observer (http://www.newsobserver.com/2014/05/01/3826561/death-row-inmates-have-a-humanity.html) by my journaling instructor, Mrs. Tessie Castillo.  Reading this article, I was overwhelmed with a strong sense of reward, ignited by the knowledge that Tessie’s view of death row is influenced by direct interactions with death row prisoners.

“I would challenge those who support the death penalty to spend time getting to know a death row inmate on a personal level.” Her words echo the sentiments of a Mann deprived of blind justice for nearly two decades.  Na mean?

It’s no secret that my personal circumstance doesn’t relate well to the term, “inmate,” but I’ve come to know that Tessie is learning as she teaches.  I applaud her journalistic intrepidity.  Her tutelage has been key to my literary evolvement.  The atrocious acts surrounding the death penalty continues to bridge the gap between what society deems to be “truly evil,” and a humane welcoming into the experience that is” both edifying and moving.”

The fact that a condemned death row prisoner, and a young white female journalist share the same labor of love, only heightens the validity of the expressions we share with a society that has been led to believe there is no humanity worth saving in a death row prisoner.

Humanity is such a powerful statement.  It’s the condition or quality of being exactly what we are, humans.  Now, try to step outside of our species for a second.  Take on the position of an observer of the humanity that defines the human species.  Then, step into the witness room of an Oklahoma prison, showcasing the execution have allowed the unsuspecting viewers to believe that this is a humane practice of justice for a human tried and convicted of taking the life of another human.

For 43 long minutes, you observe Clayton Lockett kicking, gasping, mumbling, grimacing, grunting and lifting his head and shoulders entirely up from the gurney after he was declared to be unconscious by the “gracious” hosts of this horrific event.  How would you view the quality of our species, then?

The practice of capital punishment in this country has run its course.  In my opinion, it has yet to be proven that capital punishment is a deterrent to murder.  To believe that, you would probably be inclined to think that the over-consumption of chocolate ice cream is a solution to weight loss.  Feel me?  Murder is not the answer to murder. 

White House Press Secretary, Jay Carney, expressed his discontent with the eventual massive heart attack of Clayton Lockett; “We have a fundamental standard in this country that even when the death penalty is justified, it must be carried out humanely.  And I think everyone would recognize that this case fell short of that standard.” (News and Observer 5/1/14).

Well, as an observer viewing humanity from inside this box, my assessment of humanity is this: most of what we do, and most of what we believe is motivated by death.  Through death – no matter how horrific or peaceful – Tessie and I are in compliance with the humanity unjustifiably hidden and tucked away somewhere within the halls of Unit 3: “In each of these men there are many things worth understanding, worth supporting, and worth saving.  I will defend their humanity because I experience it every time I walk through those prison doors.”

Spoken like a true “cause crusader” that has discovered the relevance in finding the good.  Asante Sana Tessie.  I’ll see you in class.

Nuff Said,

MannofStat
Copyright © 2014 by Leroy Elwood Mann

4 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. As if firing you will change the truth or silence the voices of people who stand on that truth.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Tessie, I'm really sorry to hear that you may not be continuing with the writing class. I know Leroy really enjoyed learning from you. I will make sure he gets your message. I really appreciate your efforts and I hope you continue to spread your message.

    Rochelle
    Editor

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for your kind words about my article LeRoy. But looks like I won't be seeing you in class because I just found out I was dismissed as a volunteer for publishing that article. Apparently the administration doesn't appreciate me talking about humanity on death row. I'm really sorry because I know you guys looked forward to the class, and so did I. I had planned to stay a long time to see more growth from you all. I will appeal the dismissal but I may be gone for good.

    ReplyDelete