Sunday, May 11, 2014

Unreasonably Happy


“Even for the most hardened and cynical, hope gives us the right attitude to be able to believe again.”
Hill Harper
Best Selling Author/Actor

Hotep,

Dirty trays.  Cold eggs.  Or, someone sneezing without covering their mouths.  These are the elements that can easily set the tone for a day in prison.  Breakfast is the most difficult meal to endure, in the state’s chow hall.  In most cases, a soymilk and half cup of orange juice is the safest measure of nourishment.  The most important meal of the day can be the most dangerous.  And, I’m not just talking about food consumption.

It’s during this time; I realize how easy it would be to give up on life.  How easy it would be to allow myself to become full with cynicism.  My existence could easily be fed by the corrosion of hate, and my mindset could rot away with disdain.  This psychological combat zone endorses a human being’s caged animal-like responses, to these chow hall fire-fights, as being normal.  To dwell on the morbidity of this circumstance would be the waving of a white flag in the face of my captors.

Then there is hope; a hope that makes me uniquely human.  A hope that has been present since my conception.  A gift passed through the umbilical connection between mother and son.  We never know how many heartbeats we have left, so I wanna take this expression on a 180 degree turn, to face the source of my hope.

You see, my Moms has been an encouraging force whether it be through her vanquishing the heartaches of rearing children, or her distinctive will to see the face of God through the turmoil of family crisis.  There’s much to learn from a woman whose smile and genuine happiness, possess energy capable of redirecting oncoming pessimism, while generating positivity in its wake.  Feel me?

Her connection to the divinity of our Creator regularly reveals her excitement about the unknown experiences life continues to offer.  Even I have been guilty of asking Moms why she’s so happy.  I guess this is what Hill Harper meant when he said, “They accomplished such stunning life changes and subsequent victories because they never gave up on the idea that they had a right to be unreasonably happy.  They knew and believed that they had that right and ability to create their own lives.” In regards to that quote, my Moms is unreasonably happy.  Ya heard?

In the book, “Letter to an Incarcerated Brother,” (http://www.incarceratedbrother.com ) Hill Harper speaks to a brother doing time without the outside support of his mother.  The responses from this particular brother exude a disturbingly negative outlook on a life that should be filled with limitless opportunities.  The lack of a mother’s happiness and encouraging presence can be damaging to the potential growth of a man behind the wall.

I thank God for you, Moms.  Through you, I’ve learned the power of being unreasonably happy.  It’s only unreasonable to the people unfamiliar with true happiness.  I’m unreasonably happy about the relationship we share.  Your gift of hope has given me the right attitude to believe in myself when the odds are stacked against me.  I assure you; there are no white flags in my character.

Happy Mother’s Day, Beautiful Lady!!

Your Son,

Leroy
Copyright © 2014 by Leroy Elwood Mann

No comments:

Post a Comment