Sunday, April 15, 2012

On the Move Volume 7: Walking the Walk

Hotep,

It’s mid-March; 14 weeks since my left Achilles heel was surgically repaired.  My progress has been nothing short of phenomenal.  My rehab has been turned up several notches since my Volume 6 entry.  Before I go into the physicality’s of my step-by-step progression, I find this to be an opportune time to acknowledge Mrs. Lillian Jefferson Hodnett of Dry Fork, Virginia.  She moved on to the realm of infinite tranquility on 2/27/12.  She’s the grandmother of my man Chino.  If the name Chino rings a bell, it’s because I gave him a shout, on the “Grey’s Alter Anatomy” post back in 2010. 
Losing his Big Momma is a stressful experience that no human would care to endure.  Feel me?  Through my life experience, I’ve learned at some point and time a man has gotta be a man.  Posers of men abound when situations are favorable.  But, losing someone you love while living out a death sentence can either strengthen a man’s stride as he walks through life’s obstacles or it just may expose the fledgling that posers try so hard to conceal.  I take pride in saying that Chino is walking the walk.  Your Big Momma would be proud of you Dunn, may her beautiful soul rest in peace.
OAN, the stairs have become my fix.  I’ve dedicated 30 minutes a day – three to four times a week – to jogging up and down the stairs.  That’s right!  Your MannofStat is jogging in this piece!  Real talk.  I’m also doing calf raises and light – weighted squats.  A new dimension to my physical therapy has been the Elgin weight machine.  Simply put; it’s a device that assists my range of motion, while emulating a calf raise.  Weighted plates add resistance to my heel.  It resembles the mental foot scale is prehistoric, but I’m sure somebody knows what I’m talking about.  If not, just Google it.  LOL
Walking on my toes is difficult, but I’m doing it.  Dr. C. told me today, that I’m clear to resume my Kunta Kinte Thing whenever the urge occurs.  I can’t explain the relief I felt upon hearing the words:  “you can start running now.” I guess it shouldn’t have been a big deal – since I took it up myself to begin my aggressive stair routine.  But, hearing the official word assured me that my aggressive nature wasn’t a hindrance to my recovery.
The stationary bike has become a fixture in my recovery as well.  I’m doing 15 minutes at level 3 (maximum level).  It’s crazy how the stationary bike poses as an indication of my post-surgery progression.  No matter how hard or fast I pedal that bike.  I remain in the same place and time; Central prison serving a death sentence.  But I’ve come a long way since last December; mentally and physically.  Na mean?  Walking the walk is just another example of a Mann on the move.  Ya heard?
Hold ya head Chino.  Our long walk is a just reward.  Word is bond!
One Love,

MannofStat
Copyright © 2012 by Leroy Elwood Mann

1 comment:

  1. Glad to heard you are doing much better! Stay Bless! Always Love and nothing less!

    ReplyDelete