Sunday, June 24, 2012

Mann to Man


Dear Mr. President,

Hotep.  I know that seeking your personal acknowledgement to the following expression is nothing short of a long-shot, but stranger things have happened.  I mean, if a 60 year old Jack LaLanne can swim from Alcatraz to Fisherman’s Wharf handcuffed shackled and towing a 1,000lb boat, why can’t the 44th president hear the words of a death row prisoner/blogger.

I gotta tell you Mr. President, some days I feel the weight of the world bearing down on me, and I’m slowly sinking into an abyss of irrelevance.  Handcuffed and shackled by injustice, my head is barely above the surface, but your blueprint has taught me that anything is possible if you truly believe in what you’re doing.

This blog has been my platform of expression for more than 2 years.  I apologize for not reaching out to you sooner, but if you read W2TM in its entirety, you’d see I’ve been pretty busy.  It’s something I truly believe in.  So many people believe that true justice is being served in our courts, Mr. President.  W2TM have removed the guise of blind justice and educates the public from the inside of this judicial tornado.  Feel me?

Your firm stand against terrorism is indisputable evidence that you’re a man who’s about his business.  You’ve given the American people a reason to shun fear.  You’ve got plenty on your plate, Mr. President, but if I may, I’d like to approach your table with this entrée of injustice that’s getting colder than the North Pole.

The state of North Carolina has been using corrupt SBI agents to win convictions in capital murder cases.  Death row prisoners have been denied clemency, and death warrants have been signed by a former governor, who was later prosecuted for his misuse of state funds.  The judicial integrity of this state is far beyond being compromised.

It has now been proven that some prosecutors sought capital punishment based on the race of a victim, and not the facts of the case.  The mere existence of the new Racial Justice Act infers that some of the executions, which took place before 2006 were not just.  SMH

No one has been executed in North Carolina since 2006, but the time spent in limbo is killing people – all the same.  The laws in this state are long overdue for a major overhaul.  Abolishing the death penalty won’t, in itself, cure the injustice being served to someone seeking a 2nd chance; someone who has proven he/she can be an asset to society.

North Carolina’s death row receives World News coverage because one inmate portrayed death row as a leisurely treatment.  The media has somewhat made this particular inmate the spokesperson for all of death row.  In 15 years on death row, not once have I felt like I was in a place of leisure.  This is why I have every reason to reach out to you, Mr. President.

The fact that I’ve been depicted as this ominous figure and portrayed as “the worse of the worst,” thumps my mental like a Travis Barker solo.  Na mean? Murder was my case, but it’s not my crime.

Due to my current circumstance, I was unable to vote for you in 2008 and I’ll be restricted from casting a ballot in this year’s upcoming election.  Commonality is what draws me toward a presidential candidate.  I have a son, a grandson and a granddaughter on the way.  My fam comes second only to my Creator.  Mann to Man; I’m sure you can understand that.  Four more for the 44th! Ya heard?

Honorably,

MannofStat
Copyright (c) 2012 by Leroy Elwood Mann

“One person can change the world, if only by changing a piece of it.”
-          Soledad O’Brien

No comments:

Post a Comment