Sunday, June 17, 2012

Fatherhood: Generations of Pride


Hotep,

It was October 12, 1988.  The U.S.S. Tarawa was dropping its anchor in Monterey Bay, when the Red Cross sent a message to my commanding officer that one of his crew members had just become the father of a healthy, bouncing baby boy; My son, Daveante Elwood Mann.

The Air Boss came down to my berthing quarters to deliver the news.  I was barely 20 years of age.  I didn’t know the first thing about being a father.  Even so, I was overwhelmed with pride when the Air Boss shook my hand and welcomed me into fatherhood.  I intended to do everything for my son that my Pops had done for me.  I blame myself for the circumstances that impeded my deepest intentions.  SMH.

You see, my Pops, Elliot C. Dabney, restored the parental balance in my household, during my most impressionable years.  The ongoing displays of affection between him and Moms – along with the pet names and many road trips – were an obvious beginning of our bond as father and son.  This was everything that I wanted for my son.  Real Talk.

My son grew up knowing his father was living on N.C.’s death row.  How do you explain that to a 10 year old boy yearning for his father?  How do you explain that you won’t be coming home any time soon, while looking into those innocent brown eyes that once belonged to you?  I gotta tell ya, blogosphere; my honesty led to some painful moments inside this box.  Feel me?

My son became a father exactly 20 years after I did.  For the last 4 years, he’s been molding and shaping the future of the Elwood Mann tribe; my grandseed, Deuce.  He’s giving Deuce everything a father should give a son:  guidance, pleasant memories and someone to call Dad.  Even though I can’t be there for them physically, I still take pride in the fact that my son respects me enough to call me, Dad.  Funny how life works, right?

This father recognizes that his offspring will in many ways define his existence.  My son has done a great job of making me proud.  It may be difficult to embrace this thought, but I feel I’ve done the same for my Pops.  Simply because my past mistakes aren’t the deciding factor in whom I’ve become.  How I’ve chosen to respond in the face of adversity gives all of us something to be proud of.  Ya heard?

I love you Pops.  You’ve always been there for me, and you’ll never be far from me.  Na mean?  I love you too, Son.  You’re the manifestation of the father figure I wanted to be for you.  You’re out there raising your son.  An artist takes pride in his beautiful works.  Deuce is just that, Son; a beautiful work of art.  That’s what’s up!!

Son, I also want to congratulate you on the upcoming edition to the Mann fam.  The thought of a female Mann coming into this world, during the revolutionary month of July, stirs the soul of a proud G-dad – resulting in a jewel leaving a track on the side of my face.  I think I will call my granddaughter, Tear.  I’m overflowing with pride, Son.  Word is bond!!

Father’s Day is a gift that I choose to share with the world.  So allow me to acknowledge some fathers that have left us with the gift of their memories.  Rest in Peace Mr. Julius Samuel, Mr. Leroy Elwood. Mann Sr., Mr. Walter Frank Williams and Mr. Thomas Leon Carter.  Long live the fruits of your legacy.

One Love,

MannofStat
Copyright © 2012 by Leroy Elwood Mann

No comments:

Post a Comment