Monday, May 30, 2011

Dream Interrupted

Hotep,
“Leroy Mann, report to the sergeant’s office.” The distortion of the walkie-talkie was clear in my mind’s ear.  A dream easily becomes a nightmare when you have to wake up on death row.  It’s my opinion that dreams exist for the sole purpose of discovery.  Real talk.

Recently, I dreamt that I was doing crunches on the beach.  I could feel the summer sun challenging my skin’s melanin.  The scent of the salty ocean overwhelmed my nostrils as my back pounded the hot sand beneath me…” 98, 99, 100.”  I was at peace, feeling freedom in its truest essence.  Na mean?

My dream was choreographed by a screenplay tentatively titled, “Carnival,” a creation by the accomplished playwright, Ms. Nikkole Salter.  The proud recipient of “The Global” and “The Drama League” awards, Nikkole took me on a trip to Rio De Janeiro, Brazil.

I must admit, I haven’t enjoyed reading a play since I was in high school.  MacBeth, The Miracle Worker and Beowulf were epic literary works indeed, but Nikkole’s “Carnival” is the first play that I’ve read that didn’t have a definitive protagonist.  I didn’t realize it until I completed the reading.  As I went through the pages, at no time did I feel like something was missing.  I gotta tip my hat.  The girl got skills.  Word is bond!
I don’t know if Nikkole has always dreamed of being a writer, but her literary works are that of someone who loves what she does and to me, that’s living a dream.  Ya heard?

“Leroy Mann, report to the sergeant’s office” interrupted my dream of freedom and tranquility.  As I open my eyes to life on death row, a revelation comes to mind:
“If it wasn’t for my struggles of yesterday, I wouldn’t be the strong Mann that I am today.”

As long as I keep waking up, I’ll always have something to write about.  My dream of being a world renowned writer is happening as you read this.  You’re reading a dream that is interruption free.  That’s what’s up!

Check out more information on Nikkole Salter at (http://nikkolesalter.com/).

Keep it 100,

MannofStat
Copyright © 2001 by Leroy Elwood Mann

No comments:

Post a Comment