Sunday, May 22, 2011

The Joy of Pain


Hotep,

My grandseed, ‘Deuce’ is well into his 3rd year of existence. I’ve witnessed a small portion of his life through my son’s Facebook page. Deuce is a beautiful replication of his dad, my son, ‘Day-Day.’ I haven’t had the chance to meet my grandseed in person yet, but he has brought joy to my life all the same. Na mean?

It’s crazy when you think about it. The birth of a child is usually synonymous with pain; the months of discomfort, the swollen feet and inevitable contractions. One might think nothing good can come from such a discomforting transition, but when I look at my Lil’ Mann, I can see nothing but joy, a joy that relieves the pain of pessimism. Any uncertainties that once plagued my mental no longer exist, thanks to this joy. Feel me?

When my son was ten years old, I recall him asking: “Dad when you gettin’ out?” It crushed me when I had to say that I didn’t know. I did my best to encourage him to never give up on me. I promised him that I would continue to fight for us and I wouldn’t rest until I was out there with him.

Well, here we are, nearly 13 years later. I’ve kept every scribe Day-Day has ever written to me. I remain in the box, but I’m still fighting and holding true to my word. The pain of being separated from my son for all of these years subsided when my grandseed was born.

You see, the painful years I spent looking at Day-Day through this prison Plexiglas partition proved to be productive when he became a father and began to understand how the seed of a Mann inspires you to wake up every day and give thanks for someone knowing you as ‘Dad.’ Pain relieved. Ya heard?

I’m proud of you Son. Never let Jess forget that the pain she endured for the sake of my grandseed’s existence is greatly appreciated by your East Coast fam, especially me, his ‘G-Dad.’ The seed of a Mann is a beautiful thing Son. I see me in you every day when I look at your pics. As for my grandseed, Deuce, you are who you are Lil Mann. My blood…My heart…My future. That’s what’s up!

Keep it 100,

MannofStat
Copyright © 2011 by Leroy Elwood Mann
Drawing by Paul D. Cummings, aka 'Lil Bison'

No comments:

Post a Comment