Sunday, April 3, 2011

I Am Who I Am



Hotep,

Leroy Elwood Mann is the name I inherited from my biological father.  Leroy, meaning ‘The King,’ left this realm shortly after my 4th birthday.  His demise was tragic.  My initial response was that of a confused child.  I remember thinking, “my daddy is just playing.” Imagine my reaction when I saw my name on his headstone.

A monster, a wanna be thug and a gangster rapper are all terms used to define Leroy Elwood Mann, the recipient of this unjustly death sentence.  A malicious attempt to smear the legacy of my biological father’s name, but I am who I am.  The labels that have been attributed to me by the state of North Carolina and it’s many death penalty supporters doesn’t begin to define the Mann I really am.  Na mean?

Since I’ve been on death row, I’ve read the autopsy report of my biological father.  Seeing my name at the top of this document was surreal, to say the least.  Everything about him was me: “The body is that of a well developed, well nourished Negro male measuring 68 inches in length.  The hair is short, black, curly and kinky.  The eyes are brown with round and equal pupils and clear white sclera.”  Feel me?

My name belonged to my biological father.  I intend to honor his 30 years of existence by upholding the legacy of his name, through my future accomplishments.  This blog has travelled across the globe.  My biological father’s name has reached the soils of Russia, China and India.  The entire United States will read his name and know that he is much more than just a death row prisoner.  His name will bring hope to the condemned, eradicating the treachery of the state.  Ya heard?

One of North Carolina’s top SBI agents was fired in January.  Duane Deaver’s 22 years of deceit is the spark that starts the exculpatory process for Leroy Elwood Mann.  North Carolina’s shoddy crime lab has been under the radar far too long and my biological father’s name will be a part of exposing this grave injustice.  Word is bond!

As my words travel, so does my biological father’s name.  A king is remembered by his accomplishments.  My literary immortality was granted by my Creator, but it wears the stamp of my biological father, Leroy Elwood Mann.  That’s what’s up!

Keep it 100,

MannofStat
Copyright © 2011 by Leroy Elwood Mann

2 comments:

  1. I personally never had the opportunity to meet and get to know the Mann that I have always know as "Roy". Every now and then I get bits and pieces of stories about him. But let me tell you this dear uncle he would definitely be proud of the Mann that you have become. No matter what terms have been put out there to describe Leroy Elwood Mann just take comfort in knowing that the people who said those words didn't know you or Roy. The words that they used would not be the words that I personally would use to describe you. Just stay positive and keep striving to succeed and you will do just that. I believe in my heart that one day soon my son and I will have the opportunity to give you the hug that you so deserve. Love you lots!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nyse,

    I'm looking forward to that hug. It did my heart will to see you, Lil' Mann and Deb today. I hope your visit will our sister, Sabra encourages her to keep on swinging. I'm sorry that I can't be there physically for you Sabra, but I am who I am. Your brother. I love you fam.

    One
    MannofStat

    ReplyDelete