Sunday, April 10, 2011

Seasons Change

Hotep,

I can remember my ‘Nyse’ in her early days as a toddler.  She had the ability to make people laugh before she could form a complete sentence.  She easily figured out how to turn doorknobs.  The baby gate was a mere insult to her post fetal intelligence and she would climb the stairs effortlessly.  Needless to say she was a repeat offender and she involuntarily became more than familiar with the inside of her play pin.  LOL

She would cry as she watched what she knew as her world continuing to spin without her.  She immediately recognized a change.  Her movement was limited inside that play pin.  Profound as it may seem, even a one year old child can sense a loss of freedom.  Na mean?

When I look out of my cell window, I know exactly how Nyse felt.  Every March I see the white bracts of the dogwood trees take their rightful place as the winter season comes to an end.  The bloom of the dogwood is a mere indicator that a change is near.  Beyond the winter, spring, summer and fall, the seasons of life are changing right before my eyes.  Feel me?

Situations change, sometimes without warning.  In some cases people change their own situations, maybe for the better, possibly for the worst.  A correctional officer could be fired for breaking a rule that he/she used to enforce.  His/her life is no longer what it was before he/she left for work that morning.  Word is bond.

Life changes whether you want to deal with it or not.  I choose to be instrumental in the changes that will define the remainder of my existence.  My life isn’t stuck in the gloom of winter, nor am I under the illusion that every day of my life can be as warm as a picnic in the summer.  But, I do intend on getting out. Ya heard?

Here’s some food for thought:
Susan Rosenberg was a known student anti-war protester.  In 1984 the U.S. government acknowledged her as a radical fugitive.  She was captured and sentenced to 58 years in prison for possession of explosives and weapons.  But, as you should already know, seasons change.  President Clinton commuted her sentence in 2001.  She is now the successful author of, ‘An American Radical:  A political prisoner in my own country.’ My season is about to change as well.  Real Talk.

Keep it 100,

MannofStat
Copyright © 2011 by Leroy Elwood Mann

2 comments:

  1. Man that's some deep stuff your dealing with! Yeah, change is tough 'n' hard to face, but you can't avoid it. Sorry to hear bout your father. Can't even think how hard that's gotta be. Hope you find what you're looking for, Mann.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mark,
    What's good?

    I hope you continue to follow W2TM. Feel free to stop in at any time. Your comments will always be appreciated. I apologize for the delayed response, but you know how snail mail can be. Thanks for your patience.

    Change is inevitable. No doubt. Good or bad, change is gonna come. I've lived the bad Mark. A change for the better is soon to come. Ya heard?

    Be Easy,

    MannofStat

    ReplyDelete