Monday, April 30, 2012

A Voice Will Travel

Hotep,

Reading is fundamental.  My 20/20 has explored thousands of pages from books authored by professors, lawyers, activists, athletes, addicts and death row prisoners, throughout my time in this box.  During the earlier stages of my bid, I read a story about a man who whispered his message into the wind and the entire community heard his voice as it traveled.
Now, I’m sure some of you would probably turn the page and continue with the story, but me?  I had to put the book down and marinate on that visual.  As I’m sure you can see, the thought continues to stain my mental.  Feel me?
My interest in reading is founded on the voice of the writer.  Reading words can easily become a tedious practice, but hearing the voice behind the words can add a dimension to your existence that becomes essential to the understanding of your purpose.  Na mean?
Many voices have been silenced, while others possess a tone that’s barely above a whisper.  I’d like to think of my voice as a subtle roar, a roar riding the winds of this blogosphere.  Reaching the ears of the world and adding that much needed dimension to the existence of the masses.  Ya heard?
As I think of my days in the recording studio, I can recall the high adrenaline rush of being inside the sound booth.  Anticipating the inevitable union between my thoughts and  a blazing track.  The creation felt good as it left my soul and became a recording.  Then the engineer would fine tune the horns, the snares, the high hats and the piano.  But to me, the music was always perfect.  It was my voice that I was unsure of.
The uncertainty was short-lived.  As my voice traveled, my lyrics rolled off the tongues of others.  I grew more confident with my voice when I looked into the audience of a New York hip-hop club and saw heads nodding to my expression, females dancing to my sound and handshakes awaiting my acknowledgement as I departed the stage. 
Those memories are worth more than anything a deceased politician on a green piece of paper can give you.  Priceless!  But know this, People:  my voice has gone from the high pitch of Mike Tyson, to the baritone of Barry White since those days.  My sound is much deeper now.  Ya heard?
Voice – the right or opportunity to express a choice or opinion.
American Heritage College Dictionary 

Live Well,

MannofStat
Copyright © 2012 by Leroy Elwood Mann

1 comment:

  1. Hey There! I just love a Barry White voice! Do you remember back in the Day Him singing
    "I Got So Much Love to Give". You were a little guy but, it was something to hear him as I listen to the sounds of Barry ! Wow so many wonderful memories! Love Ya Back "Promise"

    ReplyDelete