Sunday, April 1, 2012

On the Move Volume 6: A Legacy Never Dies


Hotep,

Life is too short.  You wake up today; you’re gone tomorrow.  We just lost “The Voice” (Whitney Houston).  SMH.  Right before her untimely demise, we lost “The Pioneer” (Don Cornelius) and before him, “The Legend” (Etta James) left us.  If nothing else, death should teach us that we shouldn’t go to sleep with cloudy minds.  None of us are promised tomorrow.  Feel me?
I’m not caught up in how these individuals left this realm.  I only know they’re no longer with us physically, but their legacies continue to live through our existence, which brings me to W2TM. 
Every chronicle, poem, debate or loving expression is a building block in the construction of my legacy.  Some have chosen to depict me as a homicidal monster, unworthy of living.  Hey, what can I say?  It’s their right to believe that, but they couldn’t be more wrong!  It’s also my right to freely express myself in this manner.  The benevolence of my legacy speaks louder than the hateful screams of my captors.  Ya heard? 
Welcome to another chapter of my legacy:
My physical therapy sessions have been somewhat laid back, up to this point.  My therapist, who I’ll refer to as “Mr. Su,” has assured me that the sessions will become more intense as my condition progresses.  I’m more than comfortable with “Mr. Su’s” methods because my conditions is drastically improving and he spent a great part of the 90’s working as a physical therapist to the Philadelphia Flyers and other professional athletes that represented my beloved city.  Real talk.
I’m well into my 3rd week of physical therapy.  At this point, Mr. Su’s main concern is to continue to reduce the swelling around my left ankle.  He begins our sessions with 10 minutes of ultrasound stimulation.  The apparatus used to massage my Achilles tendon resembles a portable shower head.  The rhythmic sensation relieves the stiffness that causes me to walk with a limp.
The next phase of our session is electro stimulation.  A small pad containing electronic sensors is placed onto my Achilles heel for 10 minutes.  It relaxes the muscle that surrounds the afflicted tendon.  This is the best part of my therapy sessions.  Well, that and the ongoing Eagles talk between “Mr. Su” and myself during the treatments, but anyway the electro stimulation makes me feel like I can do my “Kunta Kinte Thing” (running) as soon as I get off the examination table.  This treatment is probably the main reason my ankle is beginning to look normal again.
From there, I go into a stretching routine-using a towel.  Currently, I’m unable to do calf raises, so the towel is used to give the tendon a good vertical stretch.  Na mean?  The stretching is followed by 15 minutes of Thera-Band exercises.  The Thera-Band resembles a giant rubber band.  While sitting upright, I position the Thera-Band underneath my toes- cradling the top half of my foot.  With my left leg fully extended, I add resistance to the Thera-Band by pulling it toward my stomach.  Imagine a sling-shot with my foot acting as the catch.
My left foot moves in a motion similar to pressing downward on a gas pedal.  I’ll hold it for a few seconds, and then bring my foot upright as If I’m releasing the gas pedal.  20 reps a set ain’t no joke.  Believe that!
This legacy moves uphill, but continues to gain steam.  Your support is what pushes me toward the pinnacle.  God blessed a child with a voice.  At last, the legacy unfurls.  No clouds in this forecast.  Feel me? 
Love, Peace and Soul,

MannofStat
Copyright © 2012 by Leroy Elwood Mann

1 comment:

  1. Wow you are really working out with the Physical Therapy stuff! That is good I am glad to hear this. That makes me want to do more than just walk around the block for 3 times LOL! Holla Back Soon Love Ya Much "Blu"

    ReplyDelete