Monday, March 3, 2014

Stepping to the Fountain


Hotep,

The influential fictional life of Ms. Jane Pittman was a journey of bondage – momentarily tranquilized by love – only to be shocked back into the realism of the murderous rage polluting the Deep South.  

The pain and strife of the bloodshed flooding her path, evolved into a Nile, by which her moxy sailed through the course of time – leaving the dust of racism to dissipate in the wake of a historical sip of opportunity.  Feel me?

This blueprint of trailblazing came to mind yesterday (2/4/2014), when I was introduced to two ladies who operate a non-profit organization capable of spilling truth onto the dirty lies that have buried so many.  For about an hour, we spoke at length about various topics:

Positive role models, social roles and educating potential jurors of the inevitable cultural differences between themselves and the defendant.  Death penalty qualifying a juror shouldn’t be the extent of the jury voir dire process.  Na mean?

The outcome of this meeting has yet to be settled, but I do look forward to our next forum.  There was a positive vibe in the air; a vibe that allowed me to see that my years of diligence are far from void.  This vibe is a milestone that was believed to be unreachable, but will soon be understood to be attainable.

Much like in the story of Ms. Jane Pittman, tragedy and disappointment invaded my time zone, to the degree of wondering why I’d continue to awake day-after-day.  And now, to have an opportunity to go even further with this diligence of a Mann that understands where life begins, as well as where it ends; is worthy of shedding a jewel or two – bare from my soul.

That ‘Whites Only’ water fountain was an opportunity for Ms. Jane Pittman to bear her tragedy and disappointment to the eyes of the unborn.  Mr. Gaines’ fictional drama’s legacy will be a teaching tool until the end of time.  Word is bond! (Ernest J. Gaines wrote ‘The Autobiography of Miss Jane Pittman.’

Being a follower has never been attached to my brand, but I am stepping to that fountain of opportunity.  Not to take a sip, or even make a splash, I’m submerging myself to a dimension of redirection.  Delving deeper into social interactions beyond this wall.

The great Madiba once said: “Indeed, the chains of the body are often wings to the spirit.  It has been so all along, and so it will always be.”

The fire flowing through my pen is an internal burn incapable of being quenched.  Ironically, the flowing fountain of opportunity compels it to burn at a much higher degree.  R.I.P. Nelson ‘Madiba’
Mandela.

Peace and Love,

MannofStat

Copyright © 2014 by Leroy Elwood Mann

No comments:

Post a Comment