Sunday, March 18, 2012

On the Move Volume 5: history in the making


Hotep,

As I document this 8th week of my post-surgery recovery, it’s important that I mention the fact that the Racial Justice Act is being put to the test by a death row defendant.  This case will be the first of many to seek judicial relief in the form of racial justice.
Now, before I go into my personal journey, I’d like to acknowledge the possibility of North Carolina’s death row transitioning in a manner that will spare the bloodshed of wrongfully convicted defendants.  The Troy Davis story is an American tragedy.  Racial justice is the punctuation that can bring an end to the barbarity of capital punishment; like a period. 
It’s sad to say that it (racial justice) was no more than a comma in the case of Troy Davis.  SMH.  No one can predict the outcome of every trial we’ll ever face, but I do know this:  the wrinkles of today can be well pressed tomorrow.  You just have to keep waking up.  Feel me?
This 8th week has been eventful for death row.  Another North Carolina death row prisoner had his death sentence vacated and is now serving a life sentence.  This particular prisoner was sentenced under the old law (before August 1995), so he’ll be eligible for parole in 2016.  Word is bond.
My recovery seems minute compared to these landmark life events taking place in a state that breeds racial divide; A state in which some politicians use emails to suggest that public lynching be restored.  SMH.  My Achilles heel is just a tendon that will heal, in time, but the Achilles heel of the N.C. justice system is racism.  And that, people has crippled generations of opinions on both sides of the capital punishment debacle.  Na mean?
On a much lighter note, Dr. C. told me that I no longer require the services of “Philly” (my boot).  I was examined on Wednesday (2/1/2012).  The good doctor assured me that the tendon is healing well, and I’ll be starting physical therapy in the very near future.
I feel that I’ve become too dependent on “Philly.” Walking without her just isn’t the same.  My balance is off, and the tightness in the tendon challenges my natural stride; especially when I’m using the stairs.  Real talk.
My weight training routine has picked up since I moved back upstairs.  I refuse to do squats until my balance is restored.  Na mean?  The Kunta Kinte Thing (running) is definitely not an option right now.  So I’ll just have to get it in with the upper body and lower back exercises until I can stand on my own two (pun intended).
The next “On the Move” chronicle will include some of the particulars of my physical therapy.  This recovery will be a painful journey.  My Achilles has been throbbing ever since I parted ways with “Philly.”  This recovery process is now a staple in my life’s history.  Seeking racial justice, getting out of prison or writing this blog, everyday is history when you’re living on death row. There’s no escaping the history you were meant to make.  Ya heard?
Keep it 100,

MannofStat
Copyright © 2012 by Leroy Elwood Mann

1 comment:

  1. Hey There! How are you coming along! Things are well here. Just remember the old times in Sunny San Diego! Hey what about Los Angeles LoL Feel Me Take Care Be Bless and keep believing in God! Remember, all things are possible if you only believe! Holla Back ! How take care of Blue for me ! LOL

    ReplyDelete