Monday, February 20, 2012

On the Move Volume 3: Crutchless

Hotep,
Ice Cube – one of the greatest MC’s to ever rise from the West – gave a true account of a man not knowing what to expect from day to day, but acknowledge the vibe of goodness when it’s in the air. 
“Woke up this morning, gotta thank God. 
I don’t know, but today seems kind of odd.”
It’s Saturday (1/7/12/) and I’ve been on my feet couldn’t resist a dose of some Divine Creation.  Na mean?  The warmth of the Creator’s star sparked an adrenaline rush that coerced me to try a single set of bench press.  I haven’t done any weight training since my surgery (12/6/11), so feeling that weight across my chest was somewhat exhilarating.  “Philly” (my boot) and I are still rolling like the Obamas; inseparable.  Ya heard?
Needless to say:  I need to remain cautious about my physical activities.  I’ve been doing pull-ups throughout the week – as a means of giving my body some form of cardiovascular activity.  Dr. Charron is scheduled to follow up on my progress this Wednesday (1/11/12).  I’ve shelved the state’s crutches for my daily trips to and from the chow hall.  But, I will make use of them when I make the trek to the new prison hospital and the new prison hospital is where those crutches will remain.  Feel me?
I’ll expect the good doctor to clear me for some minor physical therapy and give the okay for my return to pod 6.  I mean, it’s not like I’m not enjoying politicking – on the daily – with Nasty Nas, Jamil and my youngsta Streets.  We got H.A.M. with the topics of life, law and music. 
I’m going to really miss our rap sessions, but the environment upstairs is more conducive to my love for sports.  Ironically enough; today I watched the college b-ball tripleheader – followed by a doubleheader of the NFL playoffs.  With another day of football to come; you’ll get no complaints from me.  Ya heard?
This fourth week of my recovery process has been the reflection of Ice Cube’s timeless quote that I spoke of earlier.  I put down the crutches this week.  The flow of holiday mail was unending (Good look, Aunt Cat!  I love you madly), and the visit from my homegirl editor, Rochelle was the icing with extra sprinkles on my TastyCake.  Even as youngstas in the hood, she’s always been able to make me smile.  Talking with her puts me in a better place altogether.  She never lets me forget that my purpose is much bigger than any concrete box.  That’s what’s up!!  Asante, Ma.
A surge of independence flows through my core whenever I walk past the state’s crutches, but when times get rougher than a Brillo pad; it’s a blessing to have someone to lean on.  Word is bond!
I love you fam.
One,
MannofStat
Copyright © 2012 by Leroy Elwood Mann

No comments:

Post a Comment