Saturday, December 31, 2011

Tis The Season

Hotep,

The following expression was written by Chris Gregory.  You may know him from his game winning shots or clutch ball distribution during our annual b-ball tournament.  He also contributed to last February's "Black In the Box" segment (Vol 2:  The Black Family's Commitment is Legendary).
Chris is a man of principle.  He possesses the joy that comes from knowing his Creator.  Over the years he's helped me to understand how good will always outweigh the bad.  "Tis the Season" is the embodiment of the good that Chris carries around with him 365 days of the year.  Hear his words.  Then embrace the joy that follows.  Merry Christmas and Happy New Year Blogsphere!
Much Love,

MannofStat
Copyright (c) 2011 by Leroy Elwood Mann

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

"Tis the Season"


Perseverance – Having a hopeful attitude even in difficulties because we’re confident in God’s character – (Our Daily Bread 10-17-11) 

It’s that wonderful time of the year again to celebrate our Savior’s birth!  For those of the Christian faith, we pay honor and worship to our Heavenly Father for sending us a Redeemer.  He’s known by the names of Immanuel, the Prince of Peace and Wonderful Counselor.  I like to refer to Him as Jesus, the Son of the Most High God. 
Here on the row, we have a special candlelight service.  It’s for all who want to participate in songs, scripture reading and refreshments.  For me it’s a time of reflection from joyous childhood memories growing up.  Even though it was just me and my mother at the home place, she seemed to always make miracles for me during the holiday seasons; from decorating our artificial tree, to wrapping presents and shopping at the mall. 
Like lots of kids, she even had me believing in Santa Claus; believing if I wasn’t a good boy, Santa wouldn’t stop by the crib that year for me.  (LOL)  And eating dinner over my grandmother’s house on Christmas Day was a jubilant experience every year!  The laughter throughout the house, Christmas carols and smiling faces, are fond memories seared in my mind that I’ll always cherish deeply!
This year I’ll be spending my seventeenth Christmas on North Carolina’s Death Row.  I would much rather be at home with my family, but since that’s not the case I refuse to let the state of depression and loneliness ruin the joy of this special day!  I’m so blessed and fortunate to still have a loving, supportive cast who comes to visit me throughout the holiday season.  We all pray for my release one day, but at the present moment, my family is so grateful to our Creator to be living and experiencing another year together. 
Knowing that Jesus came into a dark world being our “Light” and “Hope,” I celebrate that Light! A Light that each individual can carry inside of them and one that reflects the goodness of Him that we can share with others, even here on the row.  There’s plenty of brother’s in Christ, including myself who try to exhibit that light of encouragement and hope in this dark place.  During the Christmas season, it’s hard for some here who don’t hear from immediate family to deal with the harsh realities of being on death row. 
This journey is a struggle for me each day too, but when I look back on how God has kept me shielded and protected from harm’s way for so many years, even kept my relationship with my family strong and intact and most importantly, kept my faith in Him and His character (Being a God who does not change like man, but One who still comforts and loves me), I can’t help but be joyous this Christmas! 
So this Christmas like all the past Christmases, I’ll be laughing, singing and smiling with my fellowmen here, knowing that each day is a step closer for me getting home.  May you all be blessed and have a very Happy Holiday season!
Peace,

Chris
Copyright © 2011 by Chris Gregory

No comments:

Post a Comment