Sunday, December 11, 2011

Just A Touch

Hotep,
“Love is just a touch away.” The sentiment behind these words helped me to endure the mental fatigue of my Naval training in the early stages of my 18th year of existence.  As I listened to the legendary crooner express these heartfelt lyrics, I began to understand the weight of something as small as a goodnight kiss, a key element that would be extracted from my life for the next three months.
My brief time in Great Lakes, Illinois was an experience that taught me to appreciate my connection to the people who knew me as I’ve known them.  My fam and my hood showed their support for me as I engaged in what I thought would be the longest three months of my life.  Real talk.
The phone calls, the homemade chocolate chip cookies (good look, Moms), the many scribes and around the way pics were all constant reminders that my placement was a temporary challenge.  One of life’s obstacle courses, an obstacle course with a finish line that was just a touch away.  Feel me?
Prison has seemed like an ongoing obstacle course.  Over the years, I’ve endured the emotional jabs and dropkicks that this life has to offer.  I’ve become well trained in repelling the flaming arrows and poison darts of hopelessness, cynicism and hate.  In order to reach the finish line of this obstacle course, I gotta keep living for tomorrow. 
As the days progress, I’ll continue to grow mentally, spiritually and emotionally, bearing my scars of incarceration with the pride of a Mann who sees beyond this finish line of confinement.  You see, our scars remind us of where we’ve been.  They don’t have to dictate where we’re going and I’m trying to fly far away from here.  Zoom!  Like Lionel Richie, ya heard?
I don’t have access to that classic Freddie Jackson joint, “Love is just a touch away.”  I can’t experience the gentleness of the touch or the warmth of a kiss either, but I’m touched by the love of my peoples.  Your support has given this contender a reason to be a champion.  Word is bond!
The Dabneys, the Wilsons, the Samuels, the Williams and the Carters have all been instrumental in the resuscitation of a Mann.  I’ll see you at the finish line, but until then, please accept this kiss to victory. Mwah!!!
One Love,
MannofStat
Copyright © 2011 by Leroy Elwood Mann

No comments:

Post a Comment