Sunday, November 6, 2011

Name and Opus

Hotep,

It’s been said that a picture is worth a thousand words, but a thousand words doesn’t always tell the whole story.  E.g.:  Two smiling faces in a prom picture doesn’t necessarily mean the prom was anything more than a date.  A wedding photo capturing a bride and groom exchanging marital vows shouldn’t be written off as eternal love.  Husband and wife?  Yes.  Soulmates?  Not necessarily.  Feel me? 
Recently I had to take an updated pic for my prison identification card.  It’s currently posted on the N.C death row website.  Right before the pic was taken, the camera operator instructed me to state my full name and opus number.  The digital camera recorded my voice as my pic was being taken:  “Leroy Mann, 0255136.”
At first glance, you may suggest that I was in a bad way.  You could presume that I was saying something derogatory.  Possibly gritting my teeth in frustration or maybe even puckering up to blow a kiss at the camera.  Hopefully, the latter isn’t a popular assumption. LOL.  I was simply doing as I was instructed to do.  Real talk.
All too often, still photos condemn a person’s character and sometimes, their lives.  It’s hard to smile in front of a camera when you’re behind the wall.  My Moms wanted to know why I kept sending her pics, of me, with long faces.  I told her that I didn’t want to give the impression that I might be having a good time or that I may be happy in prison.  She simply told me, “get over it Leroy.  I want to see your smile.” How could I not comply?
My bright smile for Moms can be seen on, “A Death Sentence is No Nap.” (4/21/2010)  This particular post has rubbed some people the wrong way.  Believe me, that wasn’t my intent.  I only wanted to make the Masses aware of my up close and personal experience with the state’s execution protocol.  Na mean?
The smile in that photo wasn’t meant to be offensive and it surely wasn’t a display of arrogance.  I was merely fulfilling a request.  I thank God that I’m still able to give my Moms her smile.  That’s what’s up!  I love you Moms.
Peace,
MannofStat
Copyright © 2011 by Leroy Elwood Mann

No comments:

Post a Comment