Sunday, March 6, 2011

No Game

Hotep,

I’m entering my 16th year inside of the box and my 14th on death row.  I haven’t been permitted to touch my loved ones since my pretrial motions back in 1996.  A brief hug from my brother D is just as memorable today as if it just happened the day before.  Feel me?

There is no one word that best describes my fam.  This blog has exhibited the passion and high spirited nature of my fam on numerous occasions (Holla if ya hear my Sharon, Nyse and Jazzy).  In our genealogy, the x-chromosome is a natural protector.  To say the least, the x-chromosome in my fam is a mutha, literally! LOL.

I accredit this highly spirited x-chromosome within my family chain to my Nana, Rachel Samuel.  She is a small woman in physical stature, but possesses a heart greater than the symbolism of liberty standing in the New York harbor.  She displayed a will to survive the cruelty of the south at a time when women were acknowledged as nothing more than a man’s personal possession.  In a true Harriet Tubman fashion, she migrated north, eventually establishing my existence by giving birth to my Moms, the legendary “Stingin B,” in the fall of 1937.  That’s what’s up!

My Nana’s will to survive has proven to be contagious.  Her lifespan has been the imprint of my will to survive.  Capitulation is not an option for me.  Thanks to my Nana, I recognize that life won’t end as long as you keep waking up.  As challenging as it may be to continue to wake up on death row, it must be done.  I’ve still got a lot of living to do.  Ya heard?

One thing that I’ve learned throughout my time in the box is to never take family relations for granted.  Love is not a game.  The expression of love, whether it is from family members or a significant other, should be evident in the initial response of a phone call or the first sentence of a letter.  At times, people feel obligated to show gestures of love, genuine on the surface, but the mirror reveals the dry well from which the gesture originated.  Na mean?

My Nana has travelled the necessary 400 plus miles to see me on various occasions.  She’s always accepted my collect calls and she’s always had encouraging words, clarifying the fact that her love is no game.  Real talk.

Have a Happy Birthday Nana!  Your love for me hasn’t gone unnoticed.  It will never be forgotten and it's now documented for the world to know.  I love you madly.

Live Well,

MannofStat
Copyright © 2011 by Leroy Elwood Mann

5 comments:

  1. This is really nice. I wish all of her grandkids spoke this highly of her or even recognized her strength and knew all that she did for them. O, well my Nana is still gonna be that same strong woman with or without them.

    ReplyDelete
  2. *Previous Comment
    Signed, Jasmine

    ReplyDelete
  3. At times we take for granted the years of wisdom and knowledge that Nana possess. We forget that as of today this woman is 95 years old. When I look at her I don't see a 95 year old woman I see the same get up and go woman that I have seen for the past 31 years. I thank God for her everyday because 1. If it wasn't for her I wouldn't be here and 2. If it wasn't for her I wouldn't have one of the strongest women that God has created in my life. And it is because of her that I am the strong woman that I am today. Lots of Love for Nana!

    S/N: Nyse hears you loud and clear!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Jazzy,

    I'm glad to see you back on the blog Cuz. I want you to know that I love you very much. You're always in my thoughts. A cameo from you is better than nothing at all. Na mean?

    Stay Up,

    MannofStat

    ReplyDelete
  5. Nyse,

    This post meant a lot to me. I wanted to do something for Nana because she's done so much for us. I just wanted her to know that her existence will always be appreciated. Thanks for supporting me Boo.

    Keep on Keepin,'
    MannofStat

    ReplyDelete