Monday, October 4, 2010

Redemption

Hotep,

Football season is here. I’m ecstatic about the results of our draft and free agent acquisitions. Now, anyone with a sports pulse knows that my veins bleed the midnight green of the Philadelphia Eagles. If you’ve read my Ball Til We Fall blog (http://www.balltilwefall.blogspot.com/) entitled “Becoming MannofStat” (6/28/10), you’d also know that I’m not a fan of our former quarterback, Donovan McNabb. Real Talk.

Now understand this people, I wasn’t one of the many fans who disapproved of the Eagles drafting McNabb just before the turn of the century, but the rollercoaster ride became unbearable after the 2005 Super Bowl loss. I could go on and on about this emotional body slam, but its much too depressing. That’s why I’m so excited about this upcoming season. McNabb playing for the Redskins should guarantee us two more wins. Ya heard?

As I write this, my Philly Birds are 1-1. Week one was a tough loss to a very good Green Bay Packers squad, but to witness Mike Vick make the most of his 2nd chance was exhilarating. Not from a fan perspective, but from the perspective of someone whose behind the wall and feeling like you’ll never get that 2nd chance. Because, the legal justice system has accommodated the views of a few to make you a pariah to many, eventually being stereotyped by many and trusted by a few. Na mean!

After the win against Detroit in week 2, Mike Vick was named the starting quarterback until further notice. It’s unfortunate that our projected starter , Kevin Kolb sustained a concussion in the 1st half of the Green Bay loss, but our offensive line is unsteady and Vick’s mobility gives us the best chance of winning right now.

I’ve been a fan of the Eagles as far back as I can remember, so as far as I’m concerned, there is no quarterback controversy. Whether it be Vick’s legs or Kolb’s pinpoint accuracy, winning should be the top priority. Because, my city and my team deserves to experience the euphoria of being the last team standing when the Lombardi trophy is presented in February. And, if Mike Vick is the starting quarterback hoisting that trophy amongst the celebrating fans, then that’s more power to the people. Because, giving someone a 2nd chance breeds new meaning to the term, “justice served.” Feel me?

Keep it 100

MannofStat
Copyright © 2010 by Leroy Elwood Mann

No comments:

Post a Comment