Monday, July 5, 2010

How Many Of Us Have Them?



Hotep,

My peoples, it’s a blessing to be in your ear once more.

I’ve been granted this opportunity to breed a word, for thought, to the ears of the masses.

So move in a little closer, and hear me do what I do.

I won’t shout, but these words may get loud. Word is bond.

I came across some old school flix. No, not 10 or 15 years ago. I’m talking about 80’s old school.

The uncut, raw era of hip-hop. Run DMC, Kurtis Blow, LL Cool J, The Fat Boys and Whodini. The Real! Ya heard?

Fresh Fest 1 was my first encounter with the vintage verse: “Now you can look the word up again and again, but the dictionary doesn’t know the meaning of friends.” Yeah, XTC was breathing the truth when he spoke these words.

I had a lot of friends growing up. I came across many acquaintances who posed as friends, but real friends are forever. Na mean?

Rising to the occasion when everything ain’t so sweet.

At some point and time, everyone gets a chink in their armor, but a friend will help repair the damage.

Upgrading your feelings of discouragement and loneliness to optimism and relevancy. Feel me?

Life ain’t easy. Whether it be on the street or inside the box, but a life spent looking for friends produces a life full of acquaintances,

Which takes me back to Fresh Fest 1. The era of Kangols, Lee suits and sheepskin coats. Good memories, no doubt.

I can still hear Whodini blessing the mic. “And if you ask me, you know I couldn’t be much help because a friend is somebody you judge for yourself.” That’s what’s up!

Worthy Opportunities Reveal Diligence.

Nuff said,

Mannofstat
Copyright © 2010 by Leroy Mann

1 comment:

  1. That picture and those lyrics took me back...when life was MUCH easier. To and time in place where my biggest concern was..."what am I going to wear to school tomorrow" LMAO "some are OK and they treat you real cool and some mistake your kindness for being a fool". I agree whole heartly...you will run across many acquaintances but very few friends. The question is...can you tell the difference! THAT'S WHAT'S UP!!!

    ReplyDelete