Tuesday, July 27, 2010

From The Row to the Streets


Hotep,

I take pride in where I’m from, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania.

Now, don’t mistake pride for arrogance, but I really miss living in Philly.

That H-town tune comes to mind when I think of my city.

That classic joint “Emotions makes you cry sometime.”

Hearing those heartfelt lyrics brings back some great memories.

Like the first time I picked up a basketball,

Going to my first Sixers’ game,

Or, being 11 years old and meeting my first love.

These memories are the foundation of my youth, the blueprint of my being. Feel me?

My feet pounding the pavements of North Philly, is a feeling I long to experience again.

From the Row to the street, a dream Glenn Chapmen made a reality the day he left death row and spent the night at his family’s home. Real talk.

The storms of death row have been tumultuous.

Walking through the gates to freedom will be a much deserved relief.

But, coming in out of the storm doesn’t mean the rain has stopped.

It’s still there. You’ve just moved to a better place.

But, when the rain does stop, I’ll still be holding my umbrella, never forgetting what it all means.

Death row is not recognition, it’s not excitement and it damn sure ain’t no record label.

But all the same, the experience of death row is life altering, changing me forever and forcing me to understand that good people can be put in bad situations. Holla if you hear me Pac.

What does it all mean?

Death row means loneliness.

It means days and nights of dismal feelings.

It means redundant conversations founded on pessimism.

It means awaking to hardened hearts and falling asleep with hopes to awake no more. Feel me?

To my brothers who have recently reunited with their long awaited freedom, I applaud you.

You’ve opened the doors and your Mannofstat is coming through.

Remember, Worthy Opportunities Reveal Diligence

I’m out like Glenn Chapman

Be Easy,

Mannofstat
Copyright © 2010 by Leroy Mann

5 comments:

  1. Cuz, when I think about Philly I think about the times spent with you, auntie, and uncle. But most of all, I think about you teaching me how to ride your big wheel. You was the first person to hold me when we watched the MJ Thiller video, because I was scared. The only person that would let me rub your ear to help me go to sleep. Although you are my cuz. You are my Brother. We shared so many fun times together, but something no one can ever take from is sharing the same birthday and the love I have for my Big brother/cousin. I miss you and love you so much..

    Love,

    AaliyahW aka Ray-Ray

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hotep Aaliyah,

    Philly is a hard city indeed, but it gave us some of the best memories. Aunt Mary (R.I.P) was a gem of a person. I miss her so much. Our mothers raised us to be like brothers and sisters. We have to keep that connection strong Cuz.

    I welcome all comments on this blog, but I'm overwhelmed with a certain sense of pride when my fam shows their literary support for me before the eyes of the masses. That's what's up!

    Don't be a stranger Cuz.

    One Love,
    Mannofstat

    ReplyDelete
  3. NO ONE SAID IT WAS GOING TO BE EASY,BUT ONE THING FOR SURE WEEPING MAY INDURE FOR A NIGHT BUT JOY COMES IN THE MORNING,ALWAYS REMEMBER YOU HAVE TO GO THROUGH SOMETHING TO GET SOMETHING,YOUR DARKEST HOUR IS WHERE YOUR STRENGHT REALLY COMES FROM.AT THE END OF TUNNEL THEIR IS LIGHT.LOVE YOU YO BABY MA

    ReplyDelete
  4. Tweedy,
    Wow! It's really good to hear from you. God is good all the time, indeed. Thank you for the words of encouragement. What up? Kory, Turtle, Fooney, Jody, Junior and Gangsta Rob. My Cali connection. The love never stops. Ya heard?

    Be Easy,
    MannofStat

    ReplyDelete
  5. "Walking through the gates to freedom will be a much deserved relief." Much deserved? You think you deserve freedom after killing her? Forget freedom.. you fouled out.. start the bus!

    ReplyDelete