Monday, November 26, 2012

Pump the Brakes: on the Move again?


Hotep,
A little over 10 months have passed since I had surgery on my left Achilles heel.  Dr. C. was quite optimistic, up to the 4th month of my recovery.  A small indention in the middle of my Achilles tendon is what raised his concerns.  I, however, was making vast improvement with my therapeutic exercises, so I felt the good doctor’s concerns were a bit premature.  I’m beginning to learn the doctor knows best.  Who knew?
I mean, I’ve been doing squats with free weights – problem free.  Doing step-ups with dumbbells; no problem.  I’m running wind sprints with my man, Dushame.  Can you blame me for feeling as though a full recovery would be imminent?  Well, my aspirations lost some steam when I came to the conclusion that a full extended calf raise – using my left foot – just isnt’ going to happen.  SMH.
My left Achilles heel didn’t mend the way the good doctor projected it would.  So, his follow-up prognosis is simple:  another surgery in which he’ll use tissue from my hamstring to graft the Achilles tendon.  So here we go again, another holiday season; another adventurous recovery.  Na mean?
By the time this goes to press, the surgery will be past tense (10/26/12).  While you’re processing this information, I should be out of the recommended soft cast and reunited with the RV ankle weight, better known as “Philly.” It’s a rough was to begin the holiday season, but I must admit; I won’t be defeated by the challenge that lies ahead.  Feel me?
I recently read an article about a 64 year old tri-athlete.  Nancy Avitabile swims a mile in 34 minutes and 38 seconds.  It only takes her 1 hour and 16 minutes to pedal a bike 25 miles.  And she only needs 51 minutes and 40 seconds to complete a 10K run.  Now, that makes my Kunta Kinte Thing look like a complete stand still.  Word is bond!
Nancy’s athletic accomplishments are just the boost I need to get on the move again.  This time I’ll do things differently.  My initial recovery time will be spent in the new prison hospital.  From what I’ve been told, television is not an option.  So, I’ll miss a couple of weeks of football.  But, considering the way my Eagles are playing.  That might not be such a bad thing.  LMAO.  Hopefully, I won’t have a need for crutches when I’m discharged from the prison hospital. 
It’ll be hitting you with literary napalm from my hospital bed because the less I’m on my feet; makes for a smooth process of getting back on them.  Ya heard?  I feel confident about this surgery going down, without a glitch.  But, nothing is guaranteed when your body is under the influence of anesthesia, so I’m making the most of this gracious opportunity to remind the masses of the joy I feel when I’m engaged in our cyber connection.  Asante, Blogosphere!!
I hope that I’ve given you a reason to add a little more kindness to your hearts.  Life can’t be as bad as you think.  Just keep me on your screen and I’ll show you that the truth is more fulfilling than the method. 
May your holidays be full of glee, and your New Year be prosperous.  Happy Kwanzaa to all and continue to fight the good fight.  Na mean?
Peace and Love,

MannofStat
Copyright © 2012 by Leroy Elwood Mann


Editor's NoteYour MannofStat's operation took place on November 9, 2012.  It was successful and he is recuperating in the hospital.

No comments:

Post a Comment