Monday, November 8, 2010

You Scared of the Dark?


Even on the darkest days the light is shining somewhere
 Hotep,


Whenever the media reports something tragic, the phrase: “The darkest days are amongst us,” always come to light. I actually felt that way when I saw two commercial planes slam into the sides of the twin towers on 9/11/01. The Columbine High shootings at the hands of the “Trench Coat Mafia” gave me deep dark feelings of despair as well.

Hurricane Katrina was a disaster, for sure, but the government’s initial rescue response was outright tragic. The earthquake that shattered Haiti was horrific. The visual of a child crying beside a house that collapsed on the child’s loved ones was a devastating image, indeed.

These are some dark times, no doubt, but the common denominator in all of these tragedies is the unification of humanity. No matter how dark of an era we may encounter, (The Great Depression, The Civil Rights Movement, or the Move Siege in West Philly) the human race tends to evolve and surmount the obstacles within the darkest of times. An evolution that encourages us to rise above the turmoil of life; to make do with what we have and to acknowledge that your situation could always be worse. Na mean?

Oft times, as people, we have the tendency to get caught up in the “Why me” syndrome. Well, there’s nothing wrong with asking that question unless you’re afraid to answer it. Feel me? Hear me people: when you get stuck on “Why me,” that’s the beginning of your darkest days. But, answering the question and using the answer as a template to better the lives of those around you will always bring light into your darkness. You may not notice an instantaneous improvement of your personal situation, but you’ll feel much better about who you’ve become. Word is bond!

So keep in mind people, the darkest of days is still light years away, if you understand why you’re in your current situation. Make the most of your situation by helping others in order to better yourself. Ya heard?

I’m out like Glenn Chapman.

Stay up,

MannofStat
Copyright © 2010 by Leroy Elwood Mann

2 comments:

  1. I’m feeling you, MannofStat. I’ve certainly had my share of dark days. In my experience, dark days only get worse when we allow ourselves to become enveloped by them. I say allow because I believe there is a direct correlation between happiness and depression and the choices we make.

    For example: a person in love who gets their heart broken, oft times elect to sit and listen to love – songs – becoming even more depressed; when a better option would be to go out and enjoy yourself.

    But, you knocked it out of the park when you said, “Make the most of your situation by helping others in order to better yourself.” No one lives unto themselves. One person exhales, another inhales the same life-sustaining air. Most of us never realize this fact until we are in a life-threatening situation and our air supply is cut short.

    In my darkest hour a friend asked for my
    help. By focusing and helping her, I felt better about myself and was better able to deal with what I was going through. That was a tremendous learning experience and I finally understood the old adage, “it’s better to give than to receive.”

    And I truly believe that self-actualization our value as human beings is our worth to others. There is no “worst of the worst;” when people love and care about you, your value as a human-being is priceless.

    Mr. Blue

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mr. Blue,

    We both know how hectic life on the row can be. Your words are a gift to me and the masses as well. Keep pushing your pen Dunn. The rewards are infinite. Ya heard?

    Be Easy,

    MannofStat

    ReplyDelete