Monday, November 1, 2010

Depressed No More

Hotep,

I attended last Sunday’s morning worship service and let me tell you, the chaplain spit some jewels, concerning depression. He gave examples of God fearing men (Moses, Jonah and Elijah), who dealt with depression, which isn’t hard for me to believe, considering the magnitude of the responsibilities they faced. Check out Elijah at Mount Carmel (Kings 18:16-38). After defeating the prophets of Baal, Elijah should’ve been on top of the world, right? But, not long after, fear and doubt got the best of him (1 Kings 19:1-16).

Depression can be lethal to the best of men. Check the math: 18.8 million Americans suffer from depression and know this: 1,080 people attempt suicide everyday. Real talk. Being on the row, can be a very depressing experience, no doubt. Like Elijah, sometimes you just get fed up with life’s trials, but depression is no reason to stop living. Word is bond!

In basketball every shooter will encounter a shooting slump at some point and time in their career. From personal experience I can tell you that the only way to defeat a shooting slump, is to just keep shooting. Depression can be defeated in the same manner. You just eventually become precise. Every shot attempt feels like the game winner and your swagger will return to high definition. Na mean?

Don’t give up on life. Depression is merely a slump. Fight your way through it, because the Creator is setting you up for the game winning shot. Ya heard?

R.I.P E-Boogie. I hate that I’m not throwing lobs to you anymore. You could’ve defeated your slump Dunn. But, your memory will live on because I’m still running the point. Feel me?

Stay up,

MannofStat
Copyright © 2010 by Leroy Elwood Mann

No comments:

Post a Comment