Monday, January 9, 2017

I Rest My Case



I don’t have many memories of my dad.  A party when I was maybe 3.  He was choking the neck of a champagne bottle.  When he saw me, he told Moms to get the camera.  My dad kissed my cheek, put his cigarette between my fingers, and tucked my other hand around the base of the bottle.

I can still feel his arm over my shoulder as he said, “C’mon, Bee.  Get a shot of me and my Lil’ Mann.”

Other than that, the extent of my memories with him revolves around the disturbing presence of sirens, screams, and chaos.  Throughout the years, people have told me:
You’re no different from them,
You’re just like all the rest.
But at 1st glance, my 2nd chance is a SON
That sets in the West… Courtesy of Compton!

You don’t know me, so how could you see
I’m a troubled father with a happy SON?
If he can’t get the truth from me, Word is bond
He’ll get it from no one.

They put me away for killing when killing
Wasn’t a part of my mental
This is highly confidential.
But fuck it, SON
This ain’t no truth I deem to be incidental

21 years after the fact,
I’m labeled a killer so killing me might
Kill the memory.
The blood in your vein, however
Will register the pulse of my name forever.

So their story can NEVER be our story
Now is the time to give you mine; a history
Without the gloss of commercial fame and glory

There were always good times, and some bad
With women throughout my life
The victim in this case was a dear friend
My codefendant was my wife
I said, “My codefendant was my wife.”
Pain and strife;
Stabbing me in the heart like my daddy’s knife
SON, here’s a picture of my Life:
My dad did time at Rahway, he was killed at 31
Murder was the case for Moms; I’m guilty
Of being her youngest,
The only one of 3 who can say I’ve done this.

Not the crime of murder,
For which I was charged and strung up
Like Nat Turner.
“Done this” implies living through death
When there should be no life left

I’m 48 now, still thriving and surprising my captors
And their execution klan
Accusers will not understand a Mann
They’re more receptive to a defendant pointing
Fingers from the witness stand

They couldn’t smell the gunpowder
Or hear the kill shot ringing louder
Than it did that fateful night
I know, I know, I know it wasn’t right
To protect the one responsible for all this hurt
But SON, it’s a wonder my eyes ain’t covered in dirt

There’s beauty in barely being able to blink
Seeing so much to live for
My Lil’ Mann playing football
And my Lil’ Mama all grown at 4

Let this voice be the wind
That blows through the tip of a pen
THE PEN
It’s a different world in here
A bubble-type atmosphere
I can shout “INJUSTICE” at the top of my lungs
And it still falls on deaf ears

Hear this punctured heart that bleeds
All over my sleeves;
A truth beating at the base of the next generation’s eardrum:

I am a troubled father,
With one happy SON
I rest my case…

Still Livin’

MannofStat
Copyright © 2017 by Leroy Elwood Mann

1 comment:

  1. Awesome! Keep Faith in our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ. Remember God has the final word not MAN! Be Bless!

    ReplyDelete