Sunday, August 17, 2014

A Chess Master Making Moves With Leroy



“Don’t play the blame game.  The king controls every move on the board.  Take responsibility instead of passing the blame.”
Mr. Eugene Brown
Chess Master

Hotep,

Meeting Mr. Eugene Brown was an experience worth chronicling.  On July 9, 2014 the unit 3 death row housing complex was directly influenced by a man who learned how to retool his life through the principles of chess.  His life experiences inspired the movie, “Life of a King,“ in which he is portrayed by Oscar Award winning actor, Cuba Gooding, Jr.

At 68 years of age, Mr. Brown has transformed himself from a serial stick-up kid to an astounding citizen, teaching wayward children how to defuse the cycle of intergenerational incarceration.  

In these cosmic times of kids raising themselves while being consumed by the ever-growing epidemic defined as, “Hood Disease,” the men of – or returning to – society have a paternal obligation to assist these youth who are experiencing ongoing traumas bred by neighborhood disasters (shootings, stabbings, police brutality, etc.).  30% of those traumatized through this type of setting are experiencing learning disabilities that may steer them toward a recidivistic lifestyle.

A man that once referred to his many arrests as an “occupational hazard,” has proven to be a grandmaster of defeating the subjugation of long-term imprisonment.  He founded the “Big Chair Chess Club” as a means to teach children the game of chess through the recollection of their own life experiences.

“The definition of checkmate is not having a way out. You have to see your end game from the opening,” he says while adjusting his chess-patterned Kangol, and wearing wingtips to match.

Although I am a long way from being a wayward child, I was deeply enlightened by Mr. Brown’s vigorous instruction pertaining to a King’s duty on, and off the board.  His motto is, “Think before you move.”  

I did a lot of thinking while I was sitting in the back of the conference room, taking notes for this particular article.  I made my move at the conclusion of his lecture.  Without hesitation, I told him about the W2TM blog and championed death row’s latest collective literary effort, the Lethal Injection magazine.

I had no problem confessing to him, that I was not a member of the death row chess club, and I do not spend any time playing chess on the board.  I also revealed that I understand the 3 parts to a chess game:

Opening, middle and end. And I’m making moves off the board.  At this point, his eyes widened and allowed me to see the youthful chess master capable of doing 100 push-ups in one stretch.  “That’s what it’s all about! Making moves off the board.  You’ve got some people sitting down, just pushing pieces.  They ain’t making no moves.”

He handed me his business card, then shook my hand with the zeal of a go-getter.  I was overwhelmed by the significance of the name Leroy (The King), while I was leaving the presence of this chess master.  His words will always ring through my thoughts whenever I make my next best move:

“When you know you’re a king, you should stand and walk like a king.”

Point taken Mr. Brown. Your move.

Much Love,

MannofStat
Copyright © 2014 by Leroy Elwood Mann

No comments:

Post a Comment