Sunday, January 26, 2014

Hypertension


Hotep,

 December 18, 2013 will be remembered as a turning point in my literary journey.  You see, 12/18/13 was the final day of the first semester of my creative writing class.  

This particular session concluded on a very high note when on of my classmates requested that I end our first semester on a poetic note.

I obliged by reading what you now know as, “Blood On My Sleeves:  the shade of reproof.” I had no plans of posting this on W2TM.  That is; until I saw the impact of this particular expression.  In doing so, I’ve learned that some of my best works may be the pain and strife the masses have yet to encounter.

This semester, I’m taking three writing classes.  In less than a year, I’ve experienced the literary work of Viktor Frankl, Ken Lamberton, and Rick Bragg.  I’ve read various essays by accomplished literary scholars.  And most recently, I met critically acclaimed News and Observer columnist, Barry Saunders.  Word is bond!

One of the three writing classes I’m taking is called, “Journaling.” I’ve already shared the pain of wearing a red jumpsuit.  So now I want to share a recent entry in my journal about the stress within the halls of the death row housing unit.  I call it, “Hypertension.”
------------------------

Hypertension

Too many times I’ve been awake for sleepless nights. Frequent fights, before me or within me, ignites the pain rambunctiously moving through my veins.

Good morning stress…
Hello drama…
Good evening melancholy…

I guess sweet dreams weren’t meant to be.  At least not for me… unless they pertain to my hopes and aspirations of leaving this box far behind.

The constant dealings with fish bowl minds will bend the hardest of men.  Time and time again, you’ll find yourself spying on that man in the mirror that’s always crying.

The unpredictability within the halls of Unit 3 has the potential to stain the mental, of each resident without warning.  If you’ve been here long enough it’s just another morning.

A walk to the chow hall doesn’t necessarily mean the only thing you’ll be fed is food.  Unforeseen trauma is always on the menu.  So what’s a Mann to do?

A Mann who’s obligated to spilling expressions of encouragement and inspiration to the masses, while my existence drips like molasses.

I mean, don’t get it twisted; I’m on top of my pen game.  It’s just a shame; every time I open my eyes the scenery and happenings within remain the same.

Every man for himself.
Crabs in the barrel.
I gotta get me, me!

It’s no wonder a large percentage of the death row population suffers from hypertension.  A tension with no end, like the oblivious steps into the unseen gin.

It seems like going without sleep holds the disappointment to minimal damage.  The carnage capsulated within the concrete of Unit 3 is calamitous to the consciousness of the pursuer of righteousness…

But, then again; dead men can’t be heard.  So what do you do?
Do you continue to walk the green mile, mute to the world?
Or, do you pick up pen and open the doors to the land of the lost?

I’d much rather leave this realm as a sleepless beast with the pen, than a well-rested polluted soul incapable of seeing the beginning from the end.

Hypertension won’t be the death of me.  Ya heard?

Still Living,

MannofStat
Copyright © 2014 by Leroy Elwood Mann

No comments:

Post a Comment