Monday, August 12, 2013

Mirror, Mirror… I’m Talking To You!


Hotep,


Is there anybody out there with a definitive explanation behind the emergence of a gray hair?  I mean, I’ve heard that the gray hair is a manifestation of the wisdom and life experience its bearer has attained over the years.  Trust me; I’d like to believe that just as much as the next recipient of the gray stripe, but as I gaze into this mirror, I’m inclined to think the single gray hair – within my mustache – has taken it upon itself to initiate change.

Now dig:
I’m still at the stage where I can count my gray hairs on one hand (stop laughing Chelle).  No matter how much I brush, comb or trim my facial hair, that single strand of gray continues to stand out.  And, as it sustains my grooming techniques, it encourages others like it to follow suit.  Gradually altering the reflection of the shiny black facial hair I’ve grown accustom to viewing for more than two decades.  Now, would I be wrong if I wasn’t willing to accept the change the minority of gray hair is bringing about?  Should I just shave away my facial hair in its entirety – pretending the gray strands don’t exist?

I can vividly remember the excitement when my reflection revealed scattered whiskers on my chin and a hint of a shadow above my upper lip.  I was officially in the throes of manhood.  I couldn’t pull myself away from the mirror.  I was a young Mann with the world to conquer.  My emotional baggage was minimal at that time.  So, I traveled light in a world I believed to be my oyster.  Somewhere – hidden – there was a pearl awaiting my arrival.

Well, it took me nearly 30 years to reach that pearl of potential.  The journey has been nothing less than rough, rugged and raw, but this pearl I now possess, makes me like the gray strand of hair in my mustached; a symbol of change.  No one can turn back the hands of time, so you just have to deal with the reflection you bear.  You may attempt to shave away my existence, but my roots will always remain.  A ‘blind’ Lady Justice has been caught looking in the mirror, and here I am.  A gray hair in her reflection – making way for others like me to follow.  Feel me?

Today, when I look in the mirror, I see a single strand of gray hair in my mustache, tomorrow it maybe two.  Who knows what my mustache will look like 10 years from now.  The bottom line is this: I’ll still be looking in the mirror.  Na mean?  Today’s lone gray hair makes a statement equivalent to the newly discovered Spiral Galaxy being 522,000 light years wide (5 x the size of the Milky Way); my journey knows no limits.  Ya heard?

Mission Not Impossible,

MannofStat
Copyright © 2013 by Leroy Elwood Mann

1 comment:

  1. Now that was nice and hey I got about 100 grays although every 4 weeks I am at the Salon letting the Beautician do the right thang and taking away the gray LOL Love Ya

    ReplyDelete