Sunday, August 25, 2013

A Native Introspection: to be civilized


Hotep,

You have no idea how often I invite cats, from the row, to join me on this journey.  I mean, if you’re truly seeking a Worthy Opportunity to Reveal your Diligence, then W.O.R.D. to the Masses is the ice cube for your lukewarm water.  So, drink up!  Na mean?

It moves me when someone – with something constructive to say – approaches me with a literary expression worthy of this viewing audience’s cyber ear.  In saying that, teaching is not exclusive to a particular race, creed, or social background.  And, learning shouldn’t be a discriminatory practice.  Feel me?

In this particular session of W2TM, you’ll hear the Native spirit of Lil’ Bison unfurl a passion for the true essence of civilization.  Now, for those of you who have never heard of Chief Luther Standing Bear, or may be unaware of the Native contribution to this land of the free and home of the brave; tune into the following introspection of what it means to be civilized.

Lil’ Bison the ear of the masses is now in tune to your voice.  Make it do what it do.  Ya heard?

Always 100,

MannofStat
Copyright © 2013 by Leroy Elwood Mann

------------------------------------------------------

To Be Civilized

Peace,

I want to give thanks to the MannofStat for giving me this chance to speak to the masses. 

“The man who sat on the ground in his tipi meditating on life and its meaning, accepting kinship of all creatures and acknowledging unity with the universe of things, was infusing into his being the TRUE essence of CIVILIZATION.”
- Chief Luther Standing Bear

The great Chief Luther Standing Bear spoke these words long ago.  Obviously, today’s world leaders have no use for these words.  The very concept of being one with Nature is absurd to those who rape Mother Earth, exploiting Her resources.  I often wonder how is it that there can be all these so called educated people, yet the simplest understanding of when we destroy Mother Earth we’re destroying humanity, eludes them.

My ancestors fought, not only to be free from the Founding Fathers’ oppression, but they also fought for Mother Earth to be free from the subjugation of the ‘new comers’ ways.  The war continues to this day in age.  As I and countless women and men fight to be free of the penal system, so does my sisters and brothers fight to protect the ‘reserved’ lands, called reservations, from those that have no regard for Mother Earth. 

I assume imprisoning my Native peoples on these small portions of land isn’t enough.  If committing genocide,  mentacide, which is the killing of the mind, creating poverty, sickness, starvation and enslavement is what defines civilization, then a savage is what I will die as.  Strength and love to all peoples living this struggle called CIVILIZATION.

One Love,

Little Bison
Copyright © 2013 by Paul Cummings

1 comment: