Monday, February 11, 2013

Black in the Box, Volume 2: Mann on a Mission



Hotep,

If you’re reading this, I’m sure you ingested the knowledge of last week’s post, “3 Minutes 2 Death.” My cuzzo, Jasmine, has truly set the tone for the 2k13 version of Black in the Box.” I originally ran the idea, to use this piece, by my editor/homegirl months ago.  Using this piece was always a priority; it was just a question of when it would be released to the masses.

This year’s goal was to change the tone of “B.I.B.,” while upholding the high degree of knowledge, traditionally spoken during this celebratory month of Black history.  I think the literary flow of a young black woman embracing her newfound independence does just that.  Na mean?

Jasmine’s expression is a realization of how the H.I.V. virus has impacted her generation.  We have Earvin “Magic” Johnson to thank for the deliverance of what can now be seen as a primitive mind state.  Long gone are the days of societal ignorance influencing the stigma of H.I.V. being exclusive to homosexuals.  Magic’s phenomenal recovery has opened the eyes of scientists and political savants around the world.  When asked what advice he’d give to someone diagnosed with this disease, Magic has 3 words: “Take your meds.”

On that note; I’d like to tell you about a person I see every day – going toe to toe with the H.I.V. virus.  I promised to protect his identity, so I’ll just refer to him as “Lazarus.” A name tethered to the biblical character whose life was restored after dying.  What you’re about to learn will help you understand why the name Lazarus is relevant for this particular individual.

In 1995, Lazarus was a free man.  He told me he was diagnosed in July of 95.’ “I was shocked.  I felt let down because I was infected through a blood transfusion.  Three months after the blood transfusion, I was informed I had contracted the H.I.V. virus.” Wow! SMH.

Living with this disease for 17 years could be considered a curse, but Lazarus prefers to look at the glass as half full.  “When I was first diagnosed, the medication wasn’t available at that time, for me to feel like I could live what might be considered a normal life.  I figured I’d be gone in 4 or 5 years.  Then in October of 95’, my doctor informed me that three clinical drugs that were still being tested, could be made available to me: AZT, 3TC – which is now Epivir and DDI.  These medications kept my condition stable.”

There’s nothing definitive about Lazarus’ physical appearance that screams: H.I.V. positive!  He’ currently taking a medicinal cocktail that corrals the virus into his HDAC cell.  This cocktail consists of: Selzentry, Issentress, Epivir, and Aptivus – boosted with Norivir.

The experimental cancer drug, JQ, is projected to remove the H.I.V. virus altogether.  JQ, is still a couple of years away from public access, but Lazarus will continue to fight the good fight until it becomes available.

I also spoke with him about the Alabama Department of Corrections’ decision to segregate H.I.V. positive prisoners.  “People with H.I.V. are already going through enough.  I remember how I was looked at when I initially came to prison.  Segregation isn’t good for morale.  People suffering from this virus need to keep a high morale.  If the prison system spent more time educating prisoners about this disease, there would be no need for segregation.”

When this Rap Session concluded, Lazarus gave me a pound, then thanked me for the opportunity to be heard.  His final thoughts will forever be his legacy.  “H.I.V. has gone from a terminal illness to a chronic ailment.  Take your meds.  If you skip more than three continuous doses, the virus becomes resistant and the meds lose their potency.”
John 11:4

Stay Up,

MannofStat
Copyright © 2013 by Leroy Elwood Mann

No comments:

Post a Comment