Sunday, September 2, 2012

A Rose of Significance

Hotep, 
No matter how you slice it; blogging from a death row prison cell is a very unique method of practicing my first amendment constitutional right.  Now, you may think: “He’s locked up.  Writing and religion is the norm in prison.” Right?
Well, I won’t deny that that may stand true for some residents inside this box.  But, for the record; my well established relationship with my Creator doesn’t qualify as religion.  And this relationship allows me to recognize the significance of my gifts.  Feel me?
Writing isn’t new to me.  Short stories, essays, songs, or love letters; writing has always been my passion.  For this reason, when I’m inspired by the acts of innovation, or encounter another – whose existence exudes a go-getter’s spirit of independence – I’m driven to share my gift of expression with the masses.  Na mean?
Shane Parson’s is a 27 year old veteran of the U.S. Army.  At 27, Bob Marley, Jimi Hendrix, Amy Winehouse, and Jean-Michel Basquiat met their untimely demises.  27 is an unfortunate number for me as well.  This concrete box became my place of residence 5 months after my 27th birthday.  SMH.
Shane is not incarcerated, nor is he a non-physical existence.  He’s making a positive difference as a member of the “Wounded Warrior Project.”  You see, at the tender age of 21, Sgt. Shane Parsons lost both legs to a roadside bomb near Baghdad.  Going into cardiac arrest 3 times – following the explosion – left him with a severe anoxic brain injury.
He lost some depth perception, and his ability to read and write, but is currently reading at a 1st grade level.  He recently passed a coaching certification test, and is now an assistant football coach at St. Wendelin, a catholic high school in his native Ohio.  That’s what’s up!
The 9/11 attacks occurred during Shane’s junior year of high school.  “I got really pissed and wanted to do something about it.”  He later told his mother he’d do it all over again.  “There is nothing that can ever keep me down.  I rock-climb, I ski, I play hockey, I hunt, I do everything.  There’s no such thing as no….”, words to live by.  If that ain’t a spirit of independence, then I don’t know what is.
This death sentence has temporarily crippled my ability to come and go as I please.  It has staggered some of my relations with friends and fam.  It paralyzes my physical connection to my son and grandseeds, but it won’t stop my general exercise of the first amendment right to freedom of speech.  Nor will it incapacitate my fight for freedom or quest for true love.  Ya heard?
My expressions are for the world’s ears.  No doubt.  But, this particular post is dedicated to Ms. Rosalie.  A matriarch who exudes the go-getter’s spirit of independence I spoke of earlier.  Keep fighting, and get better soon.
Ms. Rose, the significance of your existence just happens to be the foundation of this movement.  I give you the embrace of North Philly and the support of a fellow go-getter.  May God’s choice blessings be yours.  Word is bond!
Much Love,
MannofStat, NP 4 Life
Copyright © 2012 by Leroy Elwood Mann

No comments:

Post a Comment