Wednesday, August 15, 2012

Summer Breeze

Hotep,
The summer of 2012 has been a season full of memorable events.  Losing my grandmother last month will forever be etched into my mental, and weigh heavy on my heart.  Watching Serena Williams rule the courts of Wimbledon for the past two-months – earning the Venus Trophy and an Olympic gold medal – will always be a landmark event as I continue to travel through this physical existence.  Feel me?
The day of July 20, 2012 is more eventful than any summer Olympics.  July 20, 2012 is a day that counters the heartbreaking loss of my Nana.  At a time when my spirits were low, and I was on the brink of being overwhelmed by the humidity of despair, a summer breeze in the form of 8 pounds and 20 inches blew my thoughts of discouragement into a space of irrelevance.  Word is bond!
Daleah Janeice Mann, a.k.a. Tear is the first of her kind.  She’s my second grandchild, but the first female Mann to know me as “G-Dad.” She comes into this world not knowing her value to this fam.  Tear is the seed of realness and the fruit of all that is beautiful.  She’s years away from knowing the significance of her placement in this world and I’m sure it will be some time before she understands her G-Dad’s current situation.  Na mean?
Once again, I’ve encountered a situation that requires a fighter – living in the form of a writer – to make the most of a worthy opportunity:
Tear – a Mann made baby girl – has restored my faith in the laws of attraction.  Positive thoughts breed positive results.  Every time I look at her pic – fresh out of the womb – I’m reminded of my own significance to this fam.  Living inside a concrete box will, at times, misguide a person’s perception of their self-worth.  This environment has a tendency of cascading my existence with uncertainties that spread throughout my core like a terminal illness.  Na mean?
My Summer Breeze is now the air I breathe throughout the four seasons.  This baby girl is nothing less than a gem in the treasure chest of the Mann legacy.  Ya heard?
The summer of 2012 has showcased Gabby Douglas’ triumph at becoming the first African American to be crowned as the top all-around Olympic female gymnast.  Gold medals were contagious as Serena Williams C-walked on England in celebration of claiming her first individual Olympic gold medal.  Michael Phelps swam his way to becoming the most decorated Olympic athlete in the history of the games. 
Who knows, Daleah Janeice Mann may follow the paths set by these Olympic champions.  If not, she’ll always know that she comes from a long line of moxy-filled go-getters who embrace life’s trials as a means of becoming the best Mann this life has to offer.  You’re Mann made Baby Girl, a true landmark in my lineage.  G-Dad loves his Summer Breeze, today, tomorrow, eternally.  Word is bond!!
Much Love,
MannofStat a.k.a. G-Dad
Copyright © 2012 by Leroy Elwood Mann

No comments:

Post a Comment