Tuesday, January 24, 2012

On the Move: Volume 2

Hotep,
It’s been two weeks since I had surgery on my Achilles heel.  My surgeon, Dr. C. removed my soft cast today.  My recovery is ahead of schedule.  The mobility in my foot is exceptional and it feels better than 50%, but Dr. C. insists that I continue to make use of my crutches for the next 30 days.  Quiet as it’s kept; I’ve already started walking without my crutches, but that’s just between us.  Sssshhh!
The vertical incision on the backside of my ankle is approximately 4 inches in length.  The partially torn tendon was sewn into the mass of my Achilles heel and it took well over 20 sutures to seal the incision.  I can feel the tendon growing stronger, but I’m still experiencing numbness and an occasional stinging sensation near the incision.  Dr. C. assured me that the discomfort would lessen as the swelling subsides.
I was under the impression that I would be taking another outside trip to Duke-Raleigh Hospital for this follow-up.  To my surprise, the new prison hospital went all Grey’s Anatomy on a brotha.  It has been fully operative for more than a week, surgeries, MRIs, dialysis treatments, radiology, etc., etc., etc.  You name it, the new hospital is doing it.  It’s also a good hike from the death row housing unit.  I had to make the trek on crutches.  My triceps were on swoll when I finally reached the registration desk.  Real talk.  Needless to say, I was unable to experience the 4 shopping days til Christmas vibe, but the good doctor gave me something much better;  authorization to take a shower.  That’s what’s up!!
These last two week have been hectic without the privilege of running water cascading the length of my physical dimensions.  SMH.  Now, don’t get it twisted, your MannofStat was most efficient in his hygienic upkeep, but let’s just say that bathing within my cell while wearing a soft cast revealed my true athleticism.  Na mean?
In my last chronicle of this particular journey (On the Move Volume 1), I informed you that the 1st floor is my temporary housing assignment until the doc clears me to negotiate stairs.  My second floor housing area (Pod 6) is occupied by 20 other residents.  In Pod 4 the occupants vary because it’s a lock-up.  Most disciplinary offenders serve their time on the upper tier of Pod 4.  The lower tier is occupied by 10 people; including me.  All of the cells are behind a Plexiglas partition.
I’ll tell you what’s crazy:  when I’m behind the door – watching a game – the Plexiglas partition catches all sound and bounces it right back to its origin.  I honestly have to say, I can be a very loud individual.  SMH.  I mean, Damn! I’ve really gotta get back upstairs.  Ya heard?!
Stay Tuned,
MannofStat
Copyright © 2012 by Leroy Elwood Mann

2 comments:

  1. AnonymousJan 29, 2012 06:48 PM
    Lump It is such a wonderful experience for me to read your writings and to witness your rise above your circumstances. I can tell you what I wish life were like for you, but I'm a firm believer that God does not waste experiences. We all must reap from what we have sown...I pray that your outlook on life remains as refreshing as it is today. The mind is a beautiful thing, it can take you as far and as wide as you wish. Keep living my brother! Greg told me about your blog so I decided to drop by...Talia aka Lee-Lee 19th and Poplar

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lee-Lee,
    What it do?

    It's been a long time. I pray that this response finds you in the best of health; mentally, physically and spiritually.

    I have no doubts that all life experiences have a way of beinging us to the point of serving our purpose in this existence. Even though I've endured some painful experiences, they don't outweigh the pleasant ones. Feel me?

    Talia, feel free to drop by anytime. It's so good to hear from you. Don't be a stranger. Ya heard?

    Much Love,
    Lump
    NP 4Life

    ReplyDelete