Sunday, August 28, 2011

No Means No: Or does it?


Hotep,

With any artist (painter, singer, dancer or writer), their truth lies within their body of work.  Some opinions would suggest that Amy Winehouse’s anti-rehab anthem; “No, No, No” was an expression of a drug addict living for her next high.
Jimi Hendrix, Janis Joplin and now Amy Winehouse have all encountered their untimely demise at the tender age of 27.  Their bodies of work revealed the truths behind talent meeting tragedy.  All artists whose lives were concluded by drugs.
I wouldn’t call myself an Amy Winehouse fan, but as a lover of music, eventually I experienced her unique sound; sound that led me to wonder if Amy’s “No, No, No” was all anti-rehab.  Or was it a desperate cry for help?  Maybe it was a subconscious plea from a dying woman.  “I need help, but I don’t need it from you.” Feel me?
My stint on death row has taught me that not all help is good help, but no help can leave you... well, helpless.  A drowning person can’t be selective about the hand that reaches out to save them.  Not if they truly want to live.  Na mean?
On the days that I feel like I’m drowning, I find myself saying:  “No my day in court is coming.  No, what about my fam?  No, I’ve got a lot of living to do.”  “No, No, No! Death row will not be my demise.”  The helping hands reaching out to save me have given me an opportunity to bounce back like the springs in a mattress.  Ya heard?
The bottom line is:  “No” can be a plea or it can be a demand.  How you choose to interpret it will be the difference between just watching or offering a helping hand.  A disease can be treated, but a disease can’t be cured unless you familiarize yourself with the source.  Word is bond!!  R.I.P Amy Winhouse.
Keep it 100,

MannofStat
Copyright © 2011 by Leroy Elwood Mann

No comments:

Post a Comment