Sunday, July 3, 2011

What If?

“Yesterday’s gone and tomorrow doesn’t count unless you take care of your priorities right now.” 
-          Prodigy of Mobb Deep

Hotep,

The above quote was taken from the recently released, “My Infamous Life,” the autobiography of Prodigy, who is the front man of the legendary hip-hop group, Mobb Deep.  They first caught my attention in the early 90’s with classics like “Peer Pressure,” “Project Hallways,” and “Survival of the Fittest.” This group reached a high level of success while going against the grain of mainstream radio.

When I read the stories or listen to the music of successful hip-hop artist, I can’t help but wonder:  What If?  I mean, it’s not a crime to reflect on yesterday if your priorities are in order today.  Whether we like it or not, today will be yesterday, come tomorrow.  Right?

The first time I went to the RunDMC concert, I knew that rocking the mic would be my vocation.  I studied the masterful delivery of Run.  His command of the mic on joints like “Darryl and Joe,” and “Is it Live” watered the lyrical seedling known to many as “Doc Terra.”  An MC’s MC.  

What if I had never attended that RunDMC concert?  Who would I be?  Would the district attorney still have access to a promotional photo of ‘Doc Terra?’ By the way, Terra is not slang for terrorist, which is exactly what the district attorney conveyed to a jury of my peers.  Talk about peer pressure.  I experienced that first hand in a court of law.  Na mean?

In my days of “Rocking the Mic Right,” I was known as “Doc Terra.” “Terra” is in a mountainous region of the moon.  My lyrical flow was out of this world.  Feel me?  It’s funny how Run became “Rev Run” and Doc  Terra became a death row prisoner #0255136.  Our lives are at opposite ends of the societal spectrum, but we do share some common ground.

The Rev Run and I understand the ubiquitous nature of our Creator.  From tragedy to success, we never endure them alone.  The grace of our Almighty Creator is the reason we can reflect on them today.  Hip-hop is the journey of yesterday that I speak of right now to reach the ears of the hip-hop heads of tomorrow.  Ya heard?

My priority right now is my freedom.  What you think about you bring about.  Holla if ya hear me, Chelle.  But, I can’t help but wonder: What If ‘Doc Terra’ was a criminal defense lawyer?  Would I be reaching the masses right now?

Live Well,

MannofStat
Copyright © 2011 by Leroy Elwood Mann

No comments:

Post a Comment