Sunday, July 10, 2011

The Roads We Travel

Hotep,

Fifty years ago, “The Freedom Riders” etched their place in U.S. history.  Their mission was to challenge the Jim Crow laws of the South, in a nonviolent manner.  On May 14th – Mother’s Day – their nonviolent mission of equality was met by a high degree of violence when they crossed the state line of Alabama.  Members of the Klu Klux Klan attacked and firebombed the Greyhound bus carrying these Freedom Riders.
Now, I have flown from Chicago to Hawaii, experiencing the Pacific Ocean from an aerial view.  I’ve tasted the salt of this same Pacific Ocean as I cruised its mighty waves from Hawaii to Cali.  In May of 1989, I committed 3.5 days of my existence to Interstate 40.  At the time, I thought navigating my Hyundai Excel SE for the necessary 3,000 miles, to get from the Golden State of Cali to the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania, was a monumental feat.  Well, it was definitely a memorable experience, but far from the roads the Freedom Riders traveled.  Feel me?
Between the scorching desert of Arizona and the lightning storms of Oklahoma, there were several times I just wanted to trade my Hyundai for a plane ticket to Philly.  Without question, this journey nearly got the best of me.  I can only imagine how those Freedom Riders felt when white southerners boarded their bus, grabbing the occupants, pulling them out of their seats and beating them.  The assailants were the embodiment of the south, encapsulated by racism.  I’m sure at that point in time, those black college students and their white supporters didn’t feel like their nonviolent training was appropriate for this Freedom Ride.  Na mean?
As the miles accumulated on my odometer, I occupied my mental with introspection, my last 3 years in the U.S. Navy and my overall 21 years of existence.  I was at the drive-thru window of McDonalds in Arkansas when I came to the realization that my journey across this country would make a difference in my life.  Experiencing the highs and lows of this extensive road trip would give me something I would need for the metaphorical roads ahead of me.  Death row is a beginning, not an end.  Ya heard?
I developed a strong sense of perseverance and endurance during that road trip. But I can’t help but wonder: How free would my cross country ride have been if the Freedom Riders hadn’t traveled these roads at all?  Holla if ya hear me.

Deuces,
MannofStat
Copyright © 2011 by Leroy Elwood Mann

No comments:

Post a Comment