Monday, June 13, 2011

Father’s Thinking Outside of the Box


Hotep,

This rap session is dedicated to all of the fathers on the street, in the box and those who have transcended and now influence us through their spiritual essence.  RIP Julius Samuel, Leroy E. Mann, Sr., Willie E. Fischer, Earl J. Richmond and Edward Lemons.  You were fathers when you left this realm.  Your MannofStat honors your memory through the ink on these pages.  Word is bond.

Mr. Blue is best known for his literary craftsmanship of “The Blue View,” a weekly installment in my “Ball Til We Fall” blog.  His most recent enlightening expression was during Black History Month.  He authored: “Black In The Box, Vol 1: Being Black is an Everyday Expression.”

We recently seized the opportunity to build on the issues concerning fathers in the box.  This rap session amongst fathers will turn up the lights, extra bright for all to see.  Ya heard?

MannofStat:  Mr. Blue. What it do, Dunn?

Mr. Blue:  What’s really good, MannofStat?

MannofStat:  Let me start by wishing my Pops (Elliot) and my son (Daveante) a Happy Father’s Day.  A love amongst men keeps the family strong.  Ya heard?

Mr. Blue:  No doubt.  That’s what’s up.

MannofStat:  Aight.  Tell me, Mr. Blue.  How long have you been on death row?

Mr. Blue:  Since August of 2000.

MannofStat:  That’s 25 years between the two of us, Blue.  Do you think bitterness from a child is inevitable when a father goes to prison?

Mr. Blue:  I’ll tell you this, MannofStat.  A child’s love for a father is pure.  Should that child feel betrayed or abandoned by their dad, then the bitterness can be acute.  Feel me?

MannofStat:  No doubt.

Mr. Blue:  My stepfather went to prison when I was 5 years old.  He and my mom eventually separated.  I found myself lashing out at him for not being a good father, which was surprising because had anyone asked, I would not have mentioned it as being an issue.  Those feelings cut deeper than we realize and often go unacknowledged.

MannofStat:  It’s sad, but it’s proof that doing time can tear families apart.  But, who’s to blame?

Mr. Blue:  Ah, the Black family has been catching hell since first stepping on North American shores in 1619.  The contributing factors are numerous and more than I want to mention here, but we have always been under attack.  Our number one duty as black men is to protect our women and our babies.  No excuses!

MannofStat:  Aight.

Mr. Blue:  Strong families create strong civilizations.  The birth of a child is a celebration.  A new addition to the family and a continuation of your bloodline; an honor!  What I find alarming is our men seem to shy away from this responsibility.  The typical response nowadays upon hearing they’re about to become a father is:  “It ain’t mine.” The degradation of our young women has become a sport.  It is disgraceful and sad.

MannofStat:  So what’s the state of the black family?

Mr. Blue:  The black family is in crisis.  We must take responsibility for our own – and hold each other to higher standards, because if we look to someone else to solve our problems for us – I promise you – we will not be pleased with the results.  Ya heard?

MannofStat:  That’s what’s up!  I mean, you gave it to the masses, just the way I like my water.  Crystal clear, Dunn.

Mr. Blue:  (Laughs) before we conclude, please allow me to give honors to a remarkable woman – the strongest woman I’ve ever known – my mother, Ms. Gloria Younger.  Also, shout out to my auntie Rose, my cousin Boo, and the rest of my fam in the Washington, D.C. metropolitan area.  And, Happy Father’s Day to you, MannofStat.

MannofStat:  Happy Father’s Day to you, Mr. Blue.  Keep on living, Dunn.

Nuff Said,

MannofStat
Copyright © 2011 by Leroy Elwood Mann

No comments:

Post a Comment