Sunday, February 13, 2011

Mural of Love

Hotep,

Ever since 2008, the portrait of ‘Black Love’ has been the pairing of President Barack Obama and his first lady Michelle, a beautiful couple indeed. As far as living in the White House, they’re the first of their kind. Na mean?

The ‘Black Love’ that now occupies the residence of 1600 Pennsylvania Avenue is genuine. It’s historical and also potentially contagious. I see it for what it really is, because I know this kind of love. You see, I’m a star witness to this same genuine, historical and contagious type of love. Word is bond.

My parents have exhibited this form of love for nearly 40 years. Holding hands. Kissing in public. Dancing to the oldies on Sunday night. Doing everything together. Their union is my muse for commitment. Their loyalty to each other is the glue that mends my family circle. I’ve watched their love grow throughout the 70’s, 80’s and 90’s. When I see them now, they still carry on like that same young couple I remember from the 70’s. Real talk.

My Moms and Pops are well into their golden years now, but the undying love they share projects a youthful aura that demands an inquiring gesture from anyone who dreams of having that picture-perfect love. Feel me?

I’m sure my moms would be the first to say that falling in love is easy, but making a relationship work requires diligence, patience and commitment. When I was 16, my mom picked up the phone while I was saying: “I love you,” to my girlfriend. I can hear her response as if I was still holding that phone to my ear. “Leroy, I need to use the phone.” Now my girlfriend actually thought my moms needed to use the phone, but I knew better. Those words were code for: “Get off the phone, because we need to talk.”

She tried to school me on the true meaning of loving someone. She told me that love wasn’t a toy. In so many words, she explained to me how love could hurt you if the feelings weren’t mutual. I learned eventually, the hard way of course, but the lesson was learned all the same. I’m so thankful for this opportunity to express to my moms how much her lesson has meant to me. I get it now Moms.

The Obamas may be the portrait of ‘Black Love,’ but I’ve been exposed to a mural of ‘Black Love’ as far back as I can remember. Moms and Pops, thanks for the memories. I love you. Happy Valentine’s Day.

Live Well,

MannofStat
Copyright © 2011 by Leroy Elwood Mann

4 comments:

  1. Hello My Poet! I just wanted to write on your blog and say Hello! Stay Blessed!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You said it!!!!!! This is strong Black Love.True Love. I love them sooooo much!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sharon,
    What it do Cuz? Thanks for acknowledging 'Black Love' at its finest. We all appreciate your participation on this blog. The door is always open Cuz. Stop by any time. Real talk.

    Keep on Keepin,
    Mannofstat

    ReplyDelete
  4. Anonymous,

    Thanks for the friendly comment. Staying blessed is what I do best. Thanks for coming through. Don't be a stranger. May God's choice blessings be yours.

    Peace and Love,
    Mannofstat

    ReplyDelete