Sunday, February 20, 2011

Black In the Box Vol. 2: The Black Family's Commitment is Legendary

Hotep,

Welcome to the second installment of “Black In the Box.” Last week was a special Valentine’s Day dedication to my parents. Their love is real and worthy of acknowledgement. Na mean? Besides, the blogosphere could use a week of recovery after Mr. Blue’s eloquently powerful expression. He most definitely dropped some jewels with that piece. You’ve got my high beams on Mr. Blue! Real talk.

This next expression is coming from my man ‘Bigg Dogg.’ A mere teenager when he came to the row in 1994. This brother is adamant about not allowing his present circumstance to dictate his growth as a man. A rare breed indeed, but that’s what’s up!!

A true bondservant of God, Bigg Dogg uses his faith as binoculars to clearly see that he’s more than equipped to overcome any adversity he may face in the future. He is the epitome of the term “a diamond in the rough.” Allow his spirituality to help you understand his vision. Your MannofStat has left the building.

The stage is yours Bigg Dogg.

MannofStat

The Black Family’s Commitment is Legendary


As a spiritual being created in the image of my Creator, I pay homage to Rev. Dr. James H. Grant for Black History Month. You see, during my perilous journey here on North Carolina’s death row, he has encouraged me to keep my mind and faith intact. When I think of Black History Month, the term ‘family’ comes to mind. From slavery times, through the Civil Rights Movement and up to my present existence, no matter what struggles, obstacles or barriers we may face, families face them together, with courage, faith, heartaches and sincere love.

I’ve witnessed my dad go to jail, transform his life and now serve as a leading pastor at his church. His own walk of faith has led me to grow stronger spiritually and to never give up hope. Like so many other families who have gone through adversity, we seem to always overcome it and move forward with our heads held high.

Since my arrival on North Carolina’s death row in 1994, there have been 37 executions, the last one being August 2006. From court appointed lawyers, biased jury selections (not of my peers) and politically motivated attorneys who use defendants as stepping stones to further their careers, it was inevitable that I’d receive an unfair trial. But, from the fire that lies deep within the pit of my soul, a fire that cries out for freedom, one that has been passed down to me through my ancestors, I refuse to relinquish the flame!

They say time is of the essence. Being on death row has opened my eyes to the preciousness of life, time and family. Not only during Black History Month, but the other eleven months of the year as well, I celebrate the bond of family. During the most difficult adverse storms in life, a strong family can carry man or woman through it.

For this Black History Month of 2011, I encourage all families to continue to fight for freedom, justice, equality and the pursuit of happiness.

Making dreams reality…

Changing the present for a better future…

Empowering all communities for generations to come…

Life is a struggle, but we must never quit, lose focus or succumb to ignorance in this nation.

Peace and Blessings

Bigg Dogg
Copyright © 2011 by Chris Gregory

No comments:

Post a Comment