Monday, August 9, 2010

My Kunta Kinte Thing

Hotep,

14 summers, the extent of Kobe ‘Bean” Bryant’s pro basketball career.

14 summers is an accurate timetable for an infant becoming a teenager.

I’ve been behind the wall for 14 summers, 13 of them on death row.

Before I went inside, the summer was my least favorite time of the year.

I mean, I enjoyed the perks of summer;

No school,

Six Flags Great Adventure,

Females dressed in less,

And, even my birthday, July 22nd.

But, the summer wasn’t my favorite season.

Well, after spending 14 summers in the box, that perspective has changed.

Word is bond.

It was 94 degrees today. I went into the sweltering heat and gave the Creator a 30 minute Kunta Kinte (running) exhibition.

For those youngstas out there who don’t know who Kunta Kinte was, pick up the dvd of Alex Haley’s epic story, ‘Roots: The Saga of an American Family.’

As much as I wanted to continue, the heat index wouldn’t allow much more. Na mean?

The Kunta Kinte thing just opens my mental, and gives me a new lease on life.

In fact, these words came to me, during that 30 minute run.

An open mind, clear lungs and a healthy heart keeps my focus clearer than your camera lens. Ya heard?

As much as I love the team concept of basketball, doing the Kunta Kinte thing gives me a greater sense of achievement. Real Talk.

You see, on the court, I’m always the point guard, facilitating my teammates and giving them the best opportunities to shine.

But, when I’m in Kunta Kinte mode, I’m the superstar. I’m the coach. I’m the team’s best 6th man.

I’m even the crowd that gives my valiant efforts a standing ovation. Feel me?

The last five minutes of every run, I envision myself running the Ben Franklin Parkway in Philly.

The Art Museum stairs are in my sights and my pace increases.

I ascend the Art Museum stairs in true “Rocky” fashion.

My run ends with me at the pinnacle of my existence, exhaling all negativity and inhaling the taste of victory. Ya heard?

A sense of victory and individual achievement is what the summer season offers me; an opportunity to stare down my environment from the pinnacle of my accomplishments.

14 summers in the box has cultivated the antidote for life outside of it. That’s what’s up!

One,

Mannofstat
Copyright © 2010 by Leroy Mann

No comments:

Post a Comment