Monday, August 16, 2010

Keep on Swinging

Hotep,

Inspiration can be obtained from the gravest of circumstances. I recently gained some inspiration when I read the sad story of Philly native and former WBC light heavy weight champ, Matthew Saad Muhammad. His bio is the epitome of having “a life full of acquaintances” (How many of us have them? Posted 7/5/10), a true rags to riches, to rags story, indeed.

Reigning atop the boxing world from 1979 until 1981, he pummeled opponents in pure pugilistic fashion, paving his road to the riches with a bright future on the horizon. Today, at age 56, he lives at the Ridge Center. The largest homeless shelter in Philly. He says he left that game with millions. His cheese was given away, stolen or spent on an entourage of 39 people/acquaintances. Holla if ya hear me “Iron”’ Mike Tyson.

Saad Muhammad (originally know as Matthew Franklin) was abandoned as a youngsta. Some Catholic nuns found him on the Ben Franklin Parkway. They named him Matthew, a tribute to the great writer of the first of the four gospels in the New Testament. His last name was a reminder of where he was found. Needless to say, the pride of a champ never dies. He’s been knocked down, but not out. He exhibits the spirit of a true Philly brawler, which is an inspiration in its own right. Na mean?

The champ is going to be alright, no doubt. I watched him fight in his heyday. Warriors like him just keep on swinging, in the ring or out, a true testament of a man’s character not being defined by how he handles the best of times, but how he responds to adversity in the darkest times. Feel me?

Saad Muhammad is only one half of this inspirational story. Jose Espinosa, a fellow resident at the Ridge Center, first told Muhammad’s story in a monthly newspaper called, “One Step Away.” Is it just me or does Jose sound like someone we know? A writer, down on his luck, but making the most of his situation. Using his gift to facilitate others in need of a morale ascension while informing the masses about good people who may have been eclipsed by a negative situation.

Keep pushing the pen Jose. Our ink is changing lives. That’s what’s up!

I’m out like a convict on parole.

One,

MannofStat
Copyright © 2010 by Leroy Elwood Mann

3 comments:

  1. I am Jose Espinosa that is mentioned in the article thank you for your kind words.Somehow looking at your coments I ask myself"Are they talking about me:

    ReplyDelete
  2. nice job, keep the comments coming!!!! Jose Espinosa writer, one step away homeless newspaper.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hotep Jose,
    I gotta admit, I didn't expect you to leave a comment on my blog, but I'm certainly glad that you did. Life is what you make it Jose. No matter where you live, no matter what type of clothes you wear. The most important thing is knowing who you are and understanding your purpose. Feel me?

    Not only have you made a positive difference in the champ's life, but you've inspired me as well. And, through me others will be inspired by your work. Ya heard?

    Never give up Jose. The masses need for us to remain encouraged so that we can inspire them to Keep on Swinging. Na mean? Stay in touch my man.

    Be Easy,

    MannofStat

    ReplyDelete