Monday, June 21, 2010

Yeah, I Know What’s Up


Hotep,

During a recent visit with my parents, the topic of prison infractions came about.

Now, normally my parents do most of the talking during our visits.

I love listening to them talk about their lives as they enter their golden years. That’s what’s up.

But on this particular occasion, I was given the floor.

I seized this opportunity to expose some of the shady politics behind prison infractions.

My case is still under appeal and it would go against my better judgment to attempt to try my case in cyberspace, but I can spit some “actual factuals” about some of my prison infractions.

So, catch this people, your Mannofstat is about to exhale.

Merriam – Webster defines the term infraction as: The act of infringing: violation.

It says nothing about infractions being a measuring stick to judge a person’s character.

I mean, if a person is ticketed for doing 65mph in a 35mph zone,does that make them the most reckless individual ever? Not necessarily.

I served three years in the United States Navy.

I was honorably discharged with an infraction-free record.

Did that mean that I was a 4.0, squared away sailor? Not hardly.

In my 13 years on death row, I’ve accumulated approximately 15 infractions, give or take a few.

Most of my infractions happened after the ten dollar rule went into effect.

When they started charging ten dollars per infraction, it was no longer about keeping your nose clean.

It was moreso about when it was going to get dirty. Na mean?

e.g. An officer confiscated a birthday card during a random shakedown.

The card was given to me for my 40th birthday.

It was a drawing of a stripper giving me a lap dance. It was signed by several cats on the row. Harmless, right?

I was charged with possessing contraband ($10).

I was charged with disobeying a direct order because I wasn’t walking close enough to the wall on the left side of the hall ($10).

I caught a bargaining and trading charge because an officer saw me giving someone a coffee ($10).

That’s $30 people.

I could go on and on about some of the silly logic behind prison infractions.

The bottom line is:
The ten dollar rule is the state’s racket. Word is bond.

This is my first bid. I’ll tell you what I told my parents. Prison life is something I’ll never get used to.

To say it’s been a rough adjustment is an understatement.

I’ll never accept my placement here, but I will work hard to remain productive and continue to shed a positive light on others.

Hey, I have no problem admitting that some of my infractions were warranted.

Bad day, wrong officer, whatever, but in no way, shape or form does my infractions define who I am or the person that I’m able to become.

In time, the gravest infraction will come to light…me being sentenced to die. Ya heard?

So, yeah, I know what’s up

Holla if ya hear me.

Nuff said,

Mannofstat
Copyright © 2010 by Leroy Mann

No comments:

Post a Comment