Monday, May 17, 2010

Real Life Heroes


Hotep,

Iron Man is back on the set. The long awaited sequel is attracting hordes of superhuman enthusiasts to the box office as you read this.

Now, to some extent, I think we’d all like to experience the superhuman capabilities of a superhero.

I mean, who never wished they could fly like Superman or travel the city like Spiderman jumping from building to building without the fear of falling? Holla if ya hear me.

I know I’m not the only one who has ever had that thought.

Fictional heroes can be entertaining, no doubt, but real life heroes are never forgotten.

e.g.: My older sister was diagnosed with breast cancer in 1999. It was a frightening time for our fam.

My situation was a devastating blow to our family chain, but my sister’s diagnosis hit me harder than the judge saying, “May God have mercy on your soul," when I was sentenced to death.

1 in 3 women will be diagnosed with cancer in the US and 50% of cancer cases are prevented by early detection.

I was deeply moved when I read an article about a 4 year old girl, Alex Scott, who was selling lemonade to help cancer victims like her. This little hero died at the tender age of 8 in 2004.

Some former Eagles’ cheerleaders have come together to bring awareness to breast cancer.

The cheerleader alums recently participated in the ‘Susan G. Komen Philly Race for the Cure.” They’ve entitled this display of unity, “Ra-Ras for the Ta-Tas,” self-explanatory, indeed.

Mrs. Ann Grant, the grandmother of my homie, “Big Dogg,” is battling some strenuous circumstances concerning breast cancer.

In these troublesome times, we have to be reminded that faith the size of a mustard seed can move any mountain.

My big sis is living proof of that. I see her regularly and she is an inspiration to me and all of those around her.

So, keep your eyes on the prize Mrs. Grant, the prayers of your family and those close to your family, do not fall on deaf ears.

My big sis and other cancer survivors display an undying will to fight, making them Invincible in the face of adversity.

Their long term accomplishments are nothing short of Incredible and the obstacles they had to overcome makes their progression an amazing feat, ya heard?

Being a hero doesn’t have to be a fantasy. It’s a reachable goal, predicated on self improvement, and the ability to touch the lives of the people around you.

The art of heroism is not a discriminatory practice. Word is bond.

Cancer does not have to be a walking death sentence. Daily exercise, proper diet and regular testing can add many years to your existence, making you a hero for the ages. Na mean?

One Love,
Mannofstat
Copyright © 2010 by Leroy Mann

No comments:

Post a Comment