Tuesday, April 27, 2010

R.I.P Guru


Hotep,

As I write this, the soul-stirring sounds of Guru are ringing through my dome.

You do know Guru, right?

The legendary lyricist of the groundbreaking hip-hop group, GangStarr

Gifted Universal Rhymes Unlimited spit out classics such as:
• Mass Appeal,
• Code of the Streets,
• Manifest,
• Step in the Arena,
• The Voice,
• Much too Much,
• Fake MCs,
• Soliloquy of Chaos,
• You Know my Steez,
• Above the Clouds,
• Out to get a Rep,
• Who’s Gonna Take the Weight and
• Take it Personal

That’s just scratching the surface of his hip-hop longevity.

He shared tracks with musical heavy weights like Donald Byrd and Chaka Khan.

Some of his most classical work includes 92’s ‘Daily Operation’ and 94’s ‘Hard to Earn,’ without a doubt, two of the most defining moments in the GandStarr legacy.

As an MC, I say this without bias, 1994’s ‘Hard to Earn’ was one of the greatest hip-hop projects ever. Ya heard?

Guru’s style had ‘Mass Appeal. ‘

He was the opposite of the ‘Fake MC,’ ‘Out to get a Rep.’

He lived by the ‘Code of the Streets.’

And, if you chose to ‘Step in the Arena,’ he would prove to be ‘Much too Much’ for the lackadaisical MC, whose style might be founded on gimmicks.

When he asked the question ‘Who’s Gonna Take the Weight’, he wasn’t speaking of keys, birds, bricks or kilos. He was merely instructing us to ‘Manifest.’ Feel me?

Guru could spit a ‘Soliloquy of Chaos’ and by the time the sound reached your ears, you’d be reflecting on your shortcomings.

And, everything that you’ve ever done, that represented ignorance would have you vexed.

Yeah, ‘The Voice’ would definitely make you ‘Take it Personal.’ Na mean?

R.I.P. Guru. The hip-hop world just lost one of its greatest.

From one MC to another, my voice will now carry the torch, as you rise ‘Above the Clouds.’

I’ll never forget you Dunn.

‘You Know My Steez.’

Word is Bond!

One,
Mannofstat
Copyright © 2010

No comments:

Post a Comment