Monday, December 31, 2012

Door 5316, Volume 3: Black Friday


Hotep,
Today is considered to be the biggest shopping day of the year.  Christmas shoppers are going above and beyond – competing for that #1 spot, at a department store nearest you.  The holiday season; I just love it!  Much like those diligent Christmas shoppers, I’m keyed in, on the potential for lower numbers as well.  Except my mathematical figures have nothing to do with slashed prices and holiday layaway plans.  Feel me?
In case you haven’t noticed, the first two posts of this particular series (Adopting to Any Circumstance Volume #1: Meet the Neighbors) may have been clouded with negative overtones.  I gotta admit; going under the knife, and then spending 24 hours a day inside a prison cell – as a means of recovery – can have a negative effect on the best of us.  But the holiday season has yet to fail me, in my 44 years of existence.  So, please allow me to share some positivity in the truest sense of the holiday spirit.
My blood pressure has been a major issue since I took residence in the prison hospital.  Within the two weeks I’ve been here, my blood pressure has reached an all-time high 0f, 163/115, with an arresting heart rate of 92.  I was officially in the red and the medical staff was watching a little more than then sign on my door.  Na mean?
My frustrations with the sign posted on my door and the display of deliberate indifference by a handful of unit 4 staff, played a minor role in some of my high pressure readings.  It’s funny (but it ain’t), because other than the pain in my left leg, I felt no discomfort healthwise.  I guess that’s why high blood pressure is called “the silent killer.” Who knew?
Speaking of pain; after a long talk with my physician, I was convinced that enduring the pain without the aid of pain medication, would play a significant role in my blood pressure going into the red.  When I told the doctor (I’ll call her “Dr. Truth,” because she gave me the real) that the consumption of narcotic pills is the reason behind my high readings.  Dr. Truth simply responded:
                “Mr. Mann, you do not have a M.D. at the end of your name.  I know you’re more familiar with your body than I am, but trust me; surgeries, blood pressure and medication is my playing field.  I’ll speak with the staff about their availability, but you have to take your meds.”
Since that conversation, my blood pressure has gone from 163/115, down to 120/66 and heart rate of 62.  Good look, Dr. Truth!” My health is returning to the black with mathematical figures that just can’t be beat.  Ya heard?
My mind has been so clouded with frustration I haven’t even taken the time to describe my living quarters to you.  Well, I’ve said before, this new prison hospital is high tech.  I mean, they could actually shoot scenes for “Grey’s Anatomy” in this piece and you’d never know the difference.  Real talk.
The cells are spotless – thanks to my man, Rocky, an old-timer who mops my cell every day, and shaves a good 5 minutes off my 24 hours and day behind door 5316.  That’s what’s up!!
Listen, you wouldn’t know this was a prison hospital if the doors were replaced with those carousel – like curtains.  There’s a shower in every cell’ most definitely to my liking.  And dig this; for the first time in 17 years, I actually get to sleep in a bed.  Not a cot with a steel foundation – connected to a concrete wall, but a bed that inclines and declines to my personal comfort level, and possesses more than one exit route.  Feel me?
North Carolina taxpayers should take pride in this multi-million dollar facility, although it contradicts their last multi-million dollar prison facility (Death Row, Unit 3).  This facility is designed to restore life; a healing place.  The other facility caters to taking lives.  Maybe we shouldn’t tell the taxpayers that I’m utilizing their multi-million dollar life restoring facility.  Sssshhhh!
Nuff Said,’

MannofStat
Copyright © 2012 by Leroy Elwood Mann

No comments:

Post a Comment