Sunday, September 9, 2012

Seeing the Row through Ebony Eyes

Hotep,
I’m still mourning the recent loss of my grandmother.  I miss you dearly Nana.  I don’t know why, but I figured putting my pen down, for a few days would help keep my emotions in check.  As you can see; my ink continues to take its rightful place between the lines of this paper.  I’m a writer; my ink is my therapy.  What was I thinking?  SMH
Losing the matriarch of my tribe inspired me to briefly abandon the helplessness and disgust – that comes with the reality of not being permitted to attend a loved one’s homegoing – and capture the inside view of a matriarch from another tribe.  I’ve always liked the name “Ebony,” so I’ll address this open-minded individual as such, for obvious reasons.  Na mean?
Ebony is currently employed at Central Prison.  Like so many sistas before her, she works to feed and clothe her fam.  To Ebony, this job is mere work.  It doesn’t define her character in the workplace.  Nor does it define the woman she takes to her home, once her shift is complete.
Ebony chooses to deal with her workplace as a learning tool.  She tends to interact with the prisoners the way she would deal with a perfect stranger at the refrigerated section of a supermarket; cordially.  “Death row is nothing like I thought it would be, when I started working here.  I expected to be in the midst of savages, throughout my day.  It’s nothing like that.”
Unlike a majority of people employed at Central Prison, Ebony is far from taciturn – when dealing with prisoners.  She understands that all justice isn’t just.  She sees through the unwavering tint of commonage.  “I know everyone isn’t the same.  I can see a killer or I can see the person who blew a fuse, and now spends everyday living with remorse.  I honestly believe there are certain death row prisoners that would get out of prison, and never have another brush with the law.”
Now, don’t get it twisted; Ebony is far from being blinded by her optimism.  “I know that some are better than others at concealing their true selves, but there are some people that just shouldn’t be on death row.  I think at least 8% of the death row populace is capable of rehabilitation.  And within that small percentile (uses her index finger and thumb for emphasis) there’s someone that didn’t commit murder at all.”  Wow!  At this point, I just wanted to raise my hands and rejoice, because this sista was most definitely preaching to the choir.  Ya heard?
Ebony is well aware that North Carolina’s death row is the only death row in the country that hosts an annual b-ball tournament.  “Other death row facilities keep death row prisoners locked down 23 hours a day.  You guys walk to and from the chow hall 3 times a day.  You spend one hour of recreation, outside every day.  I mean, if a b-ball tournament has been successful for this long, death row should have other outlets.  More communal – like programs should be available to you guys.
Other staff members begin to make themselves noticeable, so Ebony and I briefly part ways.  I recognize this opportunity has been a blessing.  When we reconvene, I chose to conclude this Rap Session with a final thought from Ebony: “Once a person is given a death sentence; it’s the end for that individual.  Don’t get me wrong; you can obviously beat it on appeal, but if you don’t; it’s the end.  So why continue to persecute these individuals?  North Carolina’s death row has convinced me that everyone wearing a red jumpsuit doesn’t qualify as the worst of the worst.”  That’s what’s up!!
Coming to you live and direct from death row.  Your MannofStat lives to innovate and stimulate minds.  Word is bond!
Keepin it 100,

MannofStat, NP 4 Life
Copyright © 2012 by Leroy Elwood Mann

No comments:

Post a Comment